Notices

My Stepping Stone Project

Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Stepping Stone Project

Hey everyone, I've lurked around this forum for the past year or so just reading and observing and learning. I grew up around boats and loved them, my dad had an old Sea Ray 22 ft Pachanga in late 80's and and then a 25ft Donzi after that, I learned a lot with those boats and had a ton of fun and memories . I've had the itch for a powerboat of my own for several years. About 3 years ago I was finally about to take the plunge and then my wife and I found out she was pregnant so to be fiscally responsible I again put my boat on hold. Well last year with a 1 year old daughter at home I decided I needed a boat and that it would be a good "family activity" for us in the future. I don't normally need to ask my wife permission to buy toys(and I have several) but I figured I would give her that courtesy. To my surprise she said "do what you need to do just don't put us in a mountain of debt doing it". So rather than looking at a 27 ft Baja or Chackmate like I had been looking for in the past I settled on something a bit more tame and affordable. Rather than financing a boat and strapping myself with a big payment I figured I would try to buy something I could pay cash for with the money I had set aside for a few years for a down payment on a newer larger boat. I figured this would be a sensible way in and if I could get my wife and daughter hooked on boating then my second boat can be my dream boat. The good news is I had my daughter out on the boat a couple times the end of last season and she loved it, my wife liked it too but she didn't really comprehend the whole "on plane" thing. She would complain about it being too rough at times when I was going slow but then she would complain I was going too fast, I tried to explain how it actually gets smoother the faster I go because the boat gets on top of the chop.

I ended up with a super clean low hour Rinker 232 Captiva Cuddy. with a 5.7 modded with lots of Edelbrock Marine performance parts and through hull exhaust. Fresh water boat, flawless gelcoat and perfect interior and cockpit upholstery. I know this is not a true "off-shore' boat but it has a decent hull design a sporty look and the boat goes 58mph, which is not fast but not a slouch either. The trailer was rough and that is probably being nice. The boat didn't need too much. This winter I have upgrad]ed the stereo, had new hull graphics made and completely refinished the trailer. Here are some before and after photos of the trailer.

New paint, wheels, wheel bearings, bunk carpet, bow roller, winch strap and led lighting. A friend and I did all the work ourselves and I am in for only about $1100. I am pleased with the transformation. I still need to add some pinstripe tape and diamond plate on the steps and fenders.

Before and After Pics (don't mind the lack of rub rail, I am in the process of replacing)

Last edited by partlowr; 03-03-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

I am also adding some updated graphics to the boat. I worked with Chris at Raceline Digital, I furnished him with a profile view of my boatl and he came up with a half dozen different concepts for me based off some colors schemes I gave him. My cockpit upholstery is white and bright blue and pink so I wanted to carry that color scheme to the graphics.

Here is what he came up with. I ended up going with the one at the bottom. I just received the graphics from Raceline Digital this week and hope to get them installed/applied next Saturday. I spent about $650 including shipping for all the graphics port/starboard above and below rub rail, new matching registration numbers and three matching deck strips for up front.

Last edited by partlowr; 03-03-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

That looks good! Welcome to the site

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

As far as graphics go i kinda like 383

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
As far as graphics go i kinda like 383
Ya, that one was actually my second choice, but I ended up going with the one at the bottom AP-906 with the green, pink and blue. The sky is the limit with Raceline Digital, they have about 100 stock graphic designs and about 75 different colors to chose from. My hands were kinda tied due to the existing blue hull strip since that was gelcoat and not something I could remove. I looked into partial wraps but they were about $2000 and up for a boat my size and knowing my plans are to only keep this boat a couple of seasons then move up I didn't want to dump that kind of money into it. I think the $600 or so I spent was sensible and still makes a tasteful yet dramatic change to the appearance of the boat.

here is a link to Raceline's website if anyone is interested, Chris was really great to work with. https://www.racelinedigital.com/stor...index&cPath=89

My interior looks like this so that is why I chose the pink and blue theme

Last edited by partlowr; 03-03-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Registered

I installed my new vinyl graphics today, I like the way it turned out. Photo's don't do the metallic silver stripes any justice indoors. It took a friend and I about 3 hours to install.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Registered

I went with raceline on a 26zx Donzi I had. Great company and product.[ATTACH=CONFIG]552238[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails My Stepping Stone Project-002.jpg  

Last edited by COOPS; 03-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

Very nice!
I'm a huge fan of cuddies and have owned a bunch. The Rinkers are really tough to beat.

I remember when I had my first 24' twin O/B Sonic I was putzing around on the local pond one day when I looked over and a 232 Rinker was running beside me.
I lit up my Sonic to educate the guy and think I beat him by a mph!
Ended up being a local Rinker sales guy (that I knew) that had one w/a 502 in it and set up right. Was a gorgeous boat and ran awesome!

Congrats on your upgrades. I love seeing the small things that make a boat pop.

Well done.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by COOPS
I went with raceline on a 26zx Donzi I had. Great company and product.
Your boat looks great! I was very pleased with experience with Chris at Raceline Digital, I made several changes before deciding on my final design and colors and he was very patient with me. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Very nice!
I'm a huge fan of cuddies and have owned a bunch. The Rinkers are really tough to beat.

I remember when I had my first 24' twin O/B Sonic I was putzing around on the local pond one day when I looked over and a 232 Rinker was running beside me.
I lit up my Sonic to educate the guy and think I beat him by a mph!
Ended up being a local Rinker sales guy (that I knew) that had one w/a 502 in it and set up right. Was a gorgeous boat and ran awesome!

Congrats on your upgrades. I love seeing the small things that make a boat pop.

Well done.
Thank you! Unfortunately mine only has the small block but its had some massaging so its respectable. I looked for a big block but they are hard to come by and the couple I found were rough compared to the one I purchased. Rinker builds a decent hull for their sport cuddies, there was a model back in the mid 90's I believe called a 236 that had a very sleek and fast hull that even today it doesn't look outdated, they are really cool for what they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.