Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
DIY - Duramax Marinisation >

DIY - Duramax Marinisation

Notices

DIY - Duramax Marinisation

Old 09-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see this. Thanks for posting, and with so much detail. Have been looking for a reasonable diesel repower for my 1995 Formula 34pc. Think this might be the ticket.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Registered

Just read on another forum that Ford Winsor marine exhaust manifolds will fit a Duramax block. Is this true or complete bullsh*t?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 923 Likes on 308 Posts

They are close, but not without an adapter flange. The 392 Hemi is closer fit I believe. The Nixson manifolds in some of Banks marine testing videos were 392 I'm told. I've personally never held either gasket up to a Dmax head, but thats where to start..
Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Registered

Default Any updates

Kidturbo,

Been following for a while, do you have any updates or news to share with us?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Todd Manning
Kidturbo,

Been following for a while, do you have any updates or news to share with us?
Have bunch of stuff I really need to add, but for now now, check out this other thread. Last few few pages are relative to where I left off here. Soon as that boats on the water. I'll jump back over here and pick up filling in the fine details again.

-K
Old 12-15-2019, 01:34 AM
Registered

Kidturbo,

When you were running the T1000 without any turbos on one of the initial startups, the sound of the engine sounded as if the engine had a special grind or different type of cam profile. The idle was choppy like you would expect from a BBC with aftermarket cam profile. Did you change the cam to some sort of different from stock grind? I was just wondering unless running the engine without a turbo makes it sound like that?

Todd
Old 12-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Registered

Those engines have stage 1 AF cams, with a little more lift and duration than stock. Think it's a combination of different firing order and no turbos that makes em sound like a gasser. Plus they are a 16:1 CR engine. But now with turbos on, they sound quiet again.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Failure

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Charge cooling gets it's own section... Since one of last pieces to choose, saving it for later.
After cooler had pin leak caused turbo sensor to fail with water in it and said air leak on code and shut down to 1650 RPM continued to run until the sensor shut me down to limp mode about 1000 RPM could not reset codes had to replace a sensor to make the engine go faster than 1000 RPM Repaired after cooler still have a lot of steam at higher RPMs before and after after cooler repair they said the exhaust manifold temperature runs higher on the Duramax causing the extra steam but even the Coast Guard calls me and says I have a problem with all that steam Had vibration ran the engine at 1650 RPM and then it totally hatched and had to be towed in. Oil pressure had been down to five or six psi at times the boat troll for salmon and rockfish spends a lot of time at idle which is about 700 RPM transmission has a trolling valve Generally run the 37 foot Delta at 3100 RPM about 13 knots Engine temperature gauge is normally 154 and never gets hotter than 162.
to reset any of the codes to get out of limp mode they tell me I have to start the engine five times before it removes a code and allows me above 1650 RPM

Last edited by CaptainBuster; 08-05-2021 at 03:52 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-06-2021, 09:01 PM
Registered

A bunch of steam isn't a good thing I know. What manifolds, and did you pressure test them? I know some water cooled pipes outa AU had pretty high rate of cracking after first year. One customer went back to wrapped manifolds due to that issue. Was getting little or no water out of exhaust while boosted cause pressure was leaking back into the cooling system and over powering the waterpump at speed.

On the limp mode issue, I write everything out of the tune that isn't directly fuel pressure or temperature related. Have ran into same problems with sensor failures before. Now unless it's seriously overheating or starving for fuel, I deal with it at the dock.

The last issue does concern me since the any leak on the intake side could lead to a hydro lock issue and bent rods. It's been my findings, and every other performance marine diesel manufacture to make sure the charge cooler can not drain into the engine. Even in best setups, a good cooler will condensate about a half red solo cup worth of water upon a hot shut down. If the cooler is mounted above the engine, unless it has drain tube, that water goes straight down the pipe into the cylinders. Saw it on the very first Duramax boat, etched the cylinder walls from water laying on top the pistons. Moved the cooler down low and solved it. Even if they spring a leak mounted down low, that water can't hydro lock the engine while it's running. Or at least it would take a really big leak.

So that said, I'd do a compression check and make sure something mechanically didn't happen related to your leak.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainBuster (08-13-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank Broke in half.

Originally Posted by CaptainBuster
After cooler had pin leak caused turbo sensor to fail with water in it and said air leak on code and shut down to 1650 RPM continued to run until the sensor shut me down to limp mode about 1000 RPM could not reset codes had to replace a sensor to make the engine go faster than 1000 RPM Repaired after cooler still have a lot of steam at higher RPMs before and after after cooler repair they said the exhaust manifold temperature runs higher on the Duramax causing the extra steam but even the Coast Guard calls me and says I have a problem with all that steam Had vibration ran the engine at 1650 RPM and then it totally hatched and had to be towed in. Oil pressure had been down to five or six psi at times the boat troll for salmon and rockfish spends a lot of time at idle which is about 700 RPM transmission has a trolling valve Generally run the 37 foot Delta at 3100 RPM about 13 knots Engine temperature gauge is normally 154 and never gets hotter than 162.
to reset any of the codes to get out of limp mode they tell me I have to start the engine five times before it removes a code and allows me above 1650 RPM
more info and pictures of broken crank when I get them.
The following users liked this post:
kidturbo (08-15-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.