Another issue for the brain trust..

Notices

Another issue for the brain trust..

Old 07-19-2016, 10:23 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
That never sounds silly cause we all work long hours and can get agrivated with issues that keep us from doing what we love to do. Sometimes it is those things that are so basic that can be the ninja bug that drives us nuts.
How long do you think it took me to find a soda bottle cap under the carpet (not floor mat, actual carpet !) that was causing ignition issues in a car ?
Battery was in trunk, and ignition box behind glove box. Wires ran under carpet. Cap needed a little pressure to short a wire. No pressure, no short !

No issues when back to the shop because there would be no passenger !

Fuk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SB; 07-19-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 AM
ben
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Problem solved. I always preach to the guys here to check the simple stuff first. Always check fuses etc. first, then after the easy likely stuff checks out, then the complicated conpiracy theories.

Well, I bamboozled myself.. The #2 and #4 plug wires were crossed. I'm too happy to be embarrassed. Both sides are peppy and healthy now.

Thank you all for your time! Sorry it was something stupid. Thank you Jim for pointing out the obvious.
I spent two hours at the boat ramp trying to figure out why I had a miss a few weeks ago because of the same thing. Happens to the best of us! Glad it was an easy fix!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Problem solved. I always preach to the guys here to check the simple stuff first. Always check fuses etc. first, then after the easy likely stuff checks out, then the complicated conpiracy theories.

Well, I bamboozled myself.. The #2 and #4 plug wires were crossed. I'm too happy to be embarrassed. Both sides are peppy and healthy now.

Thank you all for your time! Sorry it was something stupid. Thank you Jim for pointing out the obvious.
Always remember: "18436572" LOL. My Dr is a Car guy and has restored a few Camaro's and Corvettes. He did my last surgery and when I was just coming around after general anesthesia after surgery he asked me " OK John...firing order Chevy V-8?"...My answer...18436572...He said..".ok...He's ok...turn him loose in about 30 minutes !!!" LOL

Last edited by sprink58; 07-19-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I'v replaced probably more ignition wires than 95% of the people here, and I still use these at the distributor when I have them, not to just make it easier for me, but the next guy (owner included) also.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Always remember: "18436572" LOL. My Dr is a Car guy and has restored a few Camaro's and Corvettes. He did my last surgery and when I was just coming around after general anesthesia after surgery he asked me " OK John...firing order Chevy V-8?"...My answer...18436572...He said..".ok...He's ok...turn him loose in about 30 minutes !!!" LOL

My new BBC has a double swap firing order... "1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3"
REALLY messing me up.. LOL
Old 07-19-2016, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 301 Posts

Guess who's going to the river this afternoon?
I just love the sound of these things. Music to my ears...
https://youtu.be/6blqc3QndwU
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So glad you found the issue and glad I could be of some help! Now go out and enjoy that beast!

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I'v replaced probably more ignition wires than 95% of the people here, and I still use these at the distributor when I have them, not to just make it easier for me, but the next guy (owner included) also.

These are great. Doesn't matter if your a novice or a pro. Can't screw up. Especially when your azz deep up upside down looking like a wine cork puller in your bilge doing multiple things at once. Then a little burn here and there (ouch) to top things off. Gotta love it though.

when engine is dressed and marinized it would appear all the plug wire lengths etc could never get switched around but with a little trouble shooting here and there wires can get pulled and the next thing you know you have two or even three the same length dangling in the bilge. I always make a habit of following from and to but these are time savers.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 301 Posts

She was running good. I was real happy with it. I am still running 22 pitch props. I have some 25 pitch I just bought but the hub adapter is different so I can't run them yet. I spun the Rt motor up to 5700 rpm which was apparently more than it wanted. I checked my guages and noticed the oil pressure was low on the Rt side. Killed motor. Opened hatches. Rear seal apparently let go. Oil everywhere on the back of the motor. Limped back on lt side. Got back to shop. Put oil in Rt side. It was 2 quarts low. Fired it up. No oil pressure. Killed it. That's where I am right now. Supposed to carry family to gulf shores in a few weeks. I'll be pulling the motor, cutting the oil filter open and going from there.
This school of hard knocks is expensive.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

She was running good. I was real happy with it. I am still running 22 pitch props. I have some 25 pitch I just bought but the hub adapter is different so I can't run them yet. I spun the Rt motor up to 5700 rpm which was apparently more than it wanted. I checked my guages and noticed the oil pressure was low on the Rt side. Killed motor. Opened hatches. Rear seal apparently let go. Oil everywhere on the back of the motor. Limped back on lt side. Got back to shop. Put oil in Rt side. It was 2 quarts low. Fired it up. No oil pressure. Killed it. That's where I am right now. Supposed to carry family to gulf shores in a few weeks. I'll be pulling the motor, cutting the oil filter open and going from there.
This school of hard knocks is expensive.
Did you weld the pickup tubes in the oil pumps? If not, do your self a favor and pull both engines and weld those pick ups to the pumps...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.