Thunderbolt IV ICM Conversion >

Thunderbolt IV ICM Conversion

Notices

Thunderbolt IV ICM Conversion

Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderbolt IV ICM Conversion

I posted the following at iboats and was referred to this site for potential answer.

I have recently run into the issue of a bad Ignition Control Module on my 1996 5.7L Mercuiser Alpha drive. I have looked for a replacement and see that I can purchase them for around $450 which is so absurd that I can't bring myself to pay it. I have looked at converting to a Delco EST system which can be purchased for around $250 for aftermarket manufacturers on Ebay. I really would like to see if anyone has attempted to install the EST ICM on a thunderbolt distributor. The EST module has the timing curves set for the mercruiser and it is marine rated. I would think that it would only be a matter of making a pigtail to wire it into the system. I do not know if the hall effect sensor would be suitable for input or if the coil would have any issue but otherwise it should work.

I would appreciate any input from others that may have attempted this or have pertinent information on the subject.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

If you are going to use the EST you will need the complete setup using the EST distributor & coil. You also need to hook up the shift interupt
Old 09-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered

Are you just needing the the thunderbolt IV module? I have a good V8-20r module and coil siting on the shelf I would sell.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Hall Effect and Magnetic Trigger both use magnets...but in a different way. I do not see a GM module working in it's place.
You would need a converter of sorts...like some ECU's will have to be flexible with different trigger input types.

Here's a good quick summary:
A magnetic pick up will use two wires, with either a rotating metal component inducing an a.c. voltage (sine wave) in a fixed coil of wire surrounding a magnet (basic electronic ignition pick up) or a moving magnet inducing a voltage in a fixed coil of wire (think of an MSD crank trigger).
A hall effect (three wire) usually uses a blade to change a magnetic field, causing an A.C. voltage which triggers a transistor. This transistor will toggle a supplied voltage (usually 5v on automotive computers) to go from 0v to 5v in a square wave output. A digital (square) signal is more precise because its either on or off, no guesswork.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the input. I have picked up a module for very little and will do some experimenting. My concern, as SB pointed out, is the signal from the hall sensor vs the signal from the magnetic trigger. I think the hall sensor will give more of a square wave and the magnetic pickup will be more of a spike. I will try to get an EST distributor and compare the signals on an O-scope.

wfo,
Thanks for the offer. You can PM me with the price that you would want for the module. Although I like a good project and it would be helpful to all if we could find a more economical solution to the thunderbolt ICM problem.