Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Best drive etc indicator cables for money, or just go to digital senders? >

Best drive etc indicator cables for money, or just go to digital senders?

Notices

Best drive etc indicator cables for money, or just go to digital senders?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best drive etc indicator cables for money, or just go to digital senders?

Seen some recommending Supreme or TFX cables... looks like Teleflex Black Jacket 3300 TFXTREME is replacement for old 33C Supreme? Is there better cables out there for the money than these?

Since indicator panel is missing one of the arms for the drives, how can you get digital senders on the drives? Guessing they would have to output NMEA2000 and I could display on the Simrad/Garmins trim indications. Might be cheaper/easier than replacing 2-4 cables and indicator and clean up the engine area. are there pieces available to fix the mechanical ind. or luck of finding someone with an old one to salvedge from? Looks like White Merc 2 drive 2 tab indicator not sure if its botttom or top cable feed
Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Registered

I was told that if you have NMEA2000 Motors then your drives are digital also, however you will have to set up junction boxes and a gateway to send signal to display. I just went thru this with mine. I run 07 496HOs, from the factory it was set up analog so we had to convert it to digital.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mseuro
I was told that if you have NMEA2000 Motors then your drives are digital also, however you will have to set up junction boxes and a gateway to send signal to display. I just went thru this with mine. I run 07 496HOs, from the factory it was set up analog so we had to convert it to digital.
Old 96boat so no. What was necessary to go from older drives to dig signals?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Registered

Merc told me that if motors where NMEA compliant then the drives where also so I did not have to do anything to get a digital signal from drives. As far as converting yours I have no idea but I would imagine it would be expensive.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:25 AM
Registered

The drive probably has an analog sender on it already for a trim gauge. I do not know what kind of signal the led indicators use for sure but it's probably a analog signal.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 375 Posts

I installed an HP transom assembly during last rebuild and it came with the digital sender. Through research found that I needed a Analog to Digital (A/D) converter 884359T1 to use my analog gauge. Picked up the A/D and installed according to the instructions. Short answer is the drive goes up/down with the trim button, but does not have a limit, so it will go full up. The gauge also doesn't work very well and doesn't move much at all. Tried many times to adjust and it just doesn't work.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Registered

I need to go from analog drives, that had a cable to indicator, to something that feeds the Simrad Go7 for example. That sucks ALLDodge you bought that and it doesnt work like it should, sure it wasnt cheap either
Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

AllDodge you may have a bad gauge, mine is going out and gives me different readings, it's getting to where it sticks now new one is on the way though.

GrannySS if you have the analog sender on the gimbal something like this might work for you, i have no idea how much it cost though.
http://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000/emu-1/emu-1

or this maybe
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...prod35607.html

Last edited by gotstreetracin; 11-23-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 375 Posts

My gauge was working fine with the analog sender, never had an issue and was fairly accurate and repeatable. It could be the A/D, but that was new when installed. I could try another but unless I can see something which can verify, think I would just be throwing money away.