Raw water pump replace/maintenance >

Raw water pump replace/maintenance

Notices

Raw water pump replace/maintenance

Old 12-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 375 Posts
Default Raw water pump replace/maintenance

Doing some maintenance on the motor and was dreading replacing the impeller in the raw water pump. I've removed the exhaust manifold to do some other work so I have more room but not much. Have been looking into the Hardin pump (they sure are proud of them) but this doesn't help me in the replacement task, just allows for the bolts to be tightened more without cracking the housing. Need to get it more accessible but there is no room on the crankshaft and some room in front of the circulating water pump.

Was looking at the camshaft pumps which wondered if something like this could work. Maybe move the ALT, PS or something else to move the water pump to the port side would help.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 563 Posts

I could be wrong since ive never paid attention to it before...but i don't think i've ever seen a camshaft mounted seawater pump on a newer EFI motor before. Since you say you dont have the room on the crankshaft to mount one... then i would see if you can fabricate an adapter to mount it to the water circulation pump...just have to make sure the circulation pump pulley spins at the proper speed or it wont turn the seawater pump fast enough and you wont get proper cooling....that would probably be the easiest and cheapest way out of it....going to a camshaft mount would require you to find a new timing cover with the adapter for the cam and you would need to get rid of the circulation pump and get some sort of crossover...then you would have to re-arrange the belt to clear everything etc....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

I'm sure your correct, just looking for something to make this easier. Removing items and hanging upside down for an hour just isn't fun
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you sure don,t have much room in front of the engines,i can see why you are dreading the job.i added the hardin ss bodies to my pumps this year because they should never need to be replaced,i just don,t like the idea of a plastic housing that will get weak and brittle after enough heat cycles.i remember changing one on a 95 degree day in the sun,that sucked.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

I'll go with the hardin if some other idea doesn't show up. Added it to my cart and was checking out then found they wanted another 26 just to ship. That was a give me a break moment, it doesn't cost that much. As before I'll probably go back and get it, when you have something good you can charge what you want

Need to get a halo drive shower also, and that to is give me a break, 200 for a piece of tubing
Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,248 Likes on 1,452 Posts

This Harden cap is nice, ran them on my bravo's, easy install, comes with 12 point stainless hardware and bolt right over the exiting top cap. As far as changing the sea pump ?? a trap door in the hull looks tike the best option

Edit: I think their about 125 each
Attached Thumbnails Raw water pump replace/maintenance-images.jpg   Raw water pump replace/maintenance-11567_9_.jpg  

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 12-01-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

I recently went the Hardin route. Very, very nice piece. Very, very pricey piece! I got 10 bucks off by entering "save10off100" in the promo code field at checkout. See if that still works. Every little bit helps.
Attached Thumbnails Raw water pump replace/maintenance-pump1.jpg   Raw water pump replace/maintenance-pump2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Was trying to stay away from drilling but since I'm in fresh and just installed a lift, the holes shouldn't be that much of a corrosion issue any longer. Do like the looks of it as well

Thanks for the tip, it might help, and I would love to have that much room to work in.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

How much are those Hardin pumps?
Old 12-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigboat28
How much are those Hardin pumps?
The entire Gen 4 pump is 340, the rear housing is 190 and you need 2 fittings at 25 each

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.