Building a 383 in 21 ft scarab >

Building a 383 in 21 ft scarab

Notices

Building a 383 in 21 ft scarab

Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by evile1003
I was looking at the 16" emi system would that be enough to get into a cam like ryans. my exhaust outlets are right above the waterline right now. I was thinking with the tube style risers I could probably clear tall fabricated valve cover with parameter bolt am I wrong with that idea I don't really want to double gasket or cut covers out
Just to clarify things a bit...The further the exhaust/engine coolant water mixes with the engine exhaust the better. Really has no bearing on where the water exits around the water line.

The valve cover gasket I referred to as 'double' is not two gaskets stacked on top of each other. Rather it is just shy of twice the normal valve cover gasket thickness. This allows the interior top side of the valve cover to clear the poly locks on roller rocker assemblies. Typically taller valve covers will interfere with marine exhaust on small blocks. Not in all cases, but many. We are simply giving you proven options from working configurations.

The internal stiffening and oil breather baffles may need to be trimmed if using stock valve covers and roller rockers. However I found that the internal bracing on stock Merc covers will slide between full rockers, and the oil breather baffle just needs to be squeezed/pinched a little with your fingers and it will fit between the trunions on installation. Once they clear the trunion pivot centerline there is no clearance issue. Kind of confusing I know.