Notices

ACR or DVSR

Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 372 Posts
Default ACR or DVSR

Decided to remove my 3-bank isolator and leaning toward Digital Voltage Sensing Relay (DVSR) over Automatic Charge Relay (ACR). Sent an email to Blue Sea about their ACR and received no response (5 days). In review of online documentation I noticed a possible issue with the ACR over the DVSR. The ACR was unclear as what effect the battery charger would be and how it needed to be wired. The DVSR did not comment with the same issues as the ACR from what I read.

Current setup

Current Plan

May install second, undecided right now. All 3-Batts are charged at dock. Under way, there is no current way to connect all 3 or to use Gen Bat to help start. If Gen is fired up it can be used to charge all 3 with Bat charger.

See any issues or concerns?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

on my sea ray the battrey,s are charging if the engines are running,and also when hooked to shore power or when gen set is running so pretty much always charging.the boat still has the origional acr from 1990.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe that the charger can be confused with an ACR in the system. The ACR opens up at a pre-set voltage / this may or may not be the appropriate voltage to truly charge the Pre-ACR battery. However, the post-ACR battery should be fine.
In my old boat, I installed a 3rd battery, ACR, and new 3 bank battery charger. The 3 bank charger was connected to all three batteries, and I never had a starting or house battery issue in the 2 years that it was installed. The charger was energized 24/7 when the boat was not in use (summer and winter). Blue Seas does have some documentation on their site about 3 bank chargers and 3 battery banks, but I don't remember exactly what it said.

An ACR disconnect would be ideal when the charger is energized - and you could probably do that quite simply with a relay, but I didn't go through that trouble (as I didn't have an issue).
Old 12-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks guys, did read thru the docs and as you all say, there should not be an issue.