Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
6.2 Mercruiser  stall shifting gears >

6.2 Mercruiser stall shifting gears

Notices

6.2 Mercruiser stall shifting gears

Old 06-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

BAM has your IAC for $138. Also see 2 new ones on Ebay for $90. Just need to look around. I bought a Car one equivalent one time. It hooked up great but was clocked wrong and my cable wasn't long enough to make work without major modification......JFYI
Old 06-08-2017, 10:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Before you do anything here -- you need to list your engine serial as your 6.2 might be possible MEFI 3 and that GM IAC was not the problem like the ford IAC using Motorola ECM 555 was.

Also there is service bulletins that are linked per engine serial numbers. Some related shifting problems as well.

I preached this for 5 years straight up here that everything marine related goes by serial numbers

1. it shows what one exactly has
2. it shows what set ups and proper parts from the OEM factory that the engine has installed per serial numbers ranges
3. certain service bulletins go with per serial ranges along with recalls and federal recalls
4. Proper service procedures and service material go with per serial ranges/
5. Updated part changes
6. and more why serial numbers are so important.

Last edited by BUP; 06-09-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sucks because I just put a new IAC sensor in yesterday and plan on taking the boat out tomorrow! I also bought a spare one in case I run into this problem again as my research on the internet indicates these are problematic and I should carry a spare. The engine surged and stalled shifting and this seems to be the fix as per whats said on the net. The one I purchased was for a 2002 Chevy Blazer.It does look the exact same as the one I pulled off.... hope this works!! So what do I need to change if this don't work??

Last edited by iroc fan; 06-09-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,317 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Okay, you have a different serial # 6.2 than we where thinking. As BUP said, we needed to know exactly what we are dealing with.

Your IAC is Merc #803149 and looks like below pic ?
If so this should be the ACDelco part:
ACDelco 217-435 GM Original Equipment Fuel Injection Idle Air Control Valve
by ACDelco
Link: http://a.co/7bRgBRT

Last edited by SB; 06-09-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Registered

Yes it looks exactly like that one. And the replacement looked exact as well...am I ok??
Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM
BUP
Banned

They IAC are NOT interchangeable from MEFI 3 to ECM 555.

To let you even know further YOU NEED TO POST your serial number to get correct help.

The 6.2 from merc was done 4 different ways - even Merc racing had a 6.2.

There is also a Black Scorpion 6.2

some engine serial numbers MEFI 3 -- 6.2 even used a fuel pressure sensor.

Like I said many had SB's per engine serial runs and few where about shifting / engine running problems.

The GM IAC was far less a problem than other IAC merc set ups.

The TPS for these earlier versions was more of a problem than the IAC. Not saying you could nt have a IAC problem but my main POINT here is sometime the net can help but how can one reply a fixed when they really do not even know what you have nor its set up nor the correct parts used. That is dart throwing and wasting money totally as being a parts changing keeping fingers crossed ---"is this going to be the part that fixes my boat " .

Just posting SOLID info. that's all and your serial number is really needed -- can care less what the replies are until then. Yes lucky guesses do happen as well for fixing anything. Good luck and who knows maybe a new IAC fixes your problem.

A scan of the engine while running and shifting would help possible pin point the problem as well.

Last edited by BUP; 06-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by iroc fan
Yes it looks exactly like that one. And the replacement looked exact as well...am I ok??
sure but was it installed correctly and set correctly after changed ? Was it a quality brand ? did you have power completely off when you removed and replace your connections ? Did you scan the engine and see where your IAC count parameters at while engine running and shifting ?
Old 06-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Registered

0m072864
Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Registered

Sounds like I need to take the boat to a Merc Tech. I don't have the scanners and tools obviously needed. Things I have read on the internet make it sound like you just need to swap them out. I don't know anyone who carries these tools and scanner out on the lake . this is complex stuff Guess and carring an extra as iv read over and over does no good without the tools and scanners
Old 06-09-2017, 04:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,317 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Just so you know BUP's terminilogy, SB = Service Bulletin.

I know, it always looks like he is referencing me, but he is not. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.