Silent Choice/Captains Call Side Exit >

Silent Choice/Captains Call Side Exit

Notices

Silent Choice/Captains Call Side Exit

Old 06-30-2017, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Side exhaust sounds good IF you have a crossover / H pipe. My boat has side exhaust that sits right in the waterline. You see alot of Chaparrals, Cobalts, etc. Set up with the exhaust in the water at rest. Being a seasoned veteran of side exhaust, I would want slope/drop over tip placement. All or most of the Corsa side tips will have a flapper valve installed. I personally would be surprised if you had an issue with reversion, that cam has has very little overlap and internal flappers in your tips will (and like Bup stated, the crossover tube) minimize any reversion with your set up.
I've always wanted to add a crossover to my setup but figured I'd leave it alone until a flapper broke in the diverters. After 12 seasons everything still works fine including the solenoids so I've never messed with it. Would be interesting to hear how it alters the sound. Most of the side exhaust boats on our little pond are small blocks. I'm pretty much the only big block boat with it and everyone says my boat sounds way different than the other boats and they can tell when it is me headed their way.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've always wanted to add a crossover to my setup but figured I'd leave it alone until a flapper broke in the diverters. After 12 seasons everything still works fine including the solenoids so I've never messed with it. Would be interesting to hear how it alters the sound. Most of the side exhaust boats on our little pond are small blocks. I'm pretty much the only big block boat with it and everyone says my boat sounds way different than the other boats and they can tell when it is me headed their way.

After years of training, my 11yr old son can tell the audible difference between a BBC and a SBC.

He's funny and corrects his grandfather when we're on the bay and says "no pops, that's twin big blocks, just listen you can hear the difference" ( when this first happened, I smiled to myself and thought "that's my boy")

On a side note, besides the power advantage, this is what's sorta cool about a 383, it's no big block, but it doesn't sound like your garden variety SBC.

Happy Independance Day, and I hope you enjoy your time on the water.

I'll post some pics of the project as I progress. I am in the process of waiting for the UPS man to bring me all my goodies.

Last edited by BigChris; 06-30-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Registered

So some of my parts arrived, not at all stoked with the craftsmanship of the diverters.
This hole is factory and was cutout with a plasma cutter.
The attention to detail doesn't present itself a performance part.
On the outside they are pretty. On the inside, not so much.,

Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I have had with and without the crossover and it really evens out the sound and makes the boat sound like a V8 no matter where you are around the boat, in or out. My set-up without the crossover had a couple of 12" Borla mufflers (which I still use) and it did not sound nearly as good. Another issue I had without the crossover was when I would go into a sharp banking turn, the water would accumulate on the high side and it would really cough and sputter...with the H placed in the elbow where it makes the turn for the side exit, the water is simply expelled thru the H and out the low side. I promise you will love the change. It also seemed like it knocks the loudness down a few Db's . Just find a guy around you that fabs up turbos/piping and it will be an easy job for him. Just make sure there is a hose size for what you will be stubbing on. I think mine was 3", but when I read up on it, IIRC, smaller is just as or nearly as effective. Its also good to read here that the H pipe can help diminish the effects exhaust/water reversion!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Registered

So finally set aside some time to work on this. My 11yr old son showed great interest in this project and helped. Not the usual handing me tools, but he's now graduated to loosening/removing components and easy installs. I check his work. But it was a great father/son experience and an opportunity to spend some quality time with him. We had a goal and got to see the results of our work.

Couple things I'd like to share:
For locating the hole location, I used 2 penny sized rare earth magnets which I could fix one on the inside of the hull and one on the outside they were strong enough to "stick" together with the hull in between. This helped in lining up the location from the inside of the hull to the outside.
For cutting through the hull I used a "rotozip" tool used for drywall. The glass was hard on the bits, I used 2 bits, one for each side. This made a nice controlled way to cut out the shape. My son held our shop vac nozzle right at the point I was cutting and made the whole operation virtually dust/mess/itch free.

Anyway here's what I've got:
Two diverters as pictured above with crossover tube.
Two inline mufflers
The side exit tips
Corsa wiring harness

We finished up last night about 8:30 ish and tonight we'll test run her off the hose and take her to the lake for a trial run if the t-storms hold off.
I'll post a you tube video. I am curious/excited to try it out.

Last edited by BigChris; 07-13-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Nice work.
FWIW, the "tile bits" for the Rotary Tools work better for fiberglass.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Excellent job! I think your tip location is perfect. For reference, this is how much fall I have from diverter to tip. And tip location.
Attached Thumbnails Silent Choice/Captains Call Side Exit-exhaust.jpg   Silent Choice/Captains Call Side Exit-wheels.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone for your tips, advice and kind words.
Here's a really short video

It thunder-stormed today right at 5 o'clock. My son and I pulled her out of the garage and gave her a good scrub down.
The dew point was 74°F and the relative humidity was 98% when we shot this. So for those of you wondering, it's not smoke, it's visible water vapor because the humidity was ..... well lets just say "it's the air you can wear" .

Last edited by BigChris; 07-13-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

Sounds nice.......... and we're only hearing half the sound!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

It sounds great, especially for a small block! It would not sound that good without the crossover tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.