Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I just realized you have a VOLVO PENTA 8.1 in which is fine but a lot from Volvo 8.1 to Merc 8.1 is totally different just the long block is the same with some of the same sensors. The CAM sensor set up thru Volvo is done differently than Merc - the PCM is MEFI 4 and then in 2005 Volvo went to E Controls PCM in which is totally different set up completely and nothing like Mercs. Merc never used MEFI 4 unless replacing NLA MEFI 1 thru 3.

. Volvo more apps than not did not use an IAC especially after mid years. Also when Volvo had the IAC on their apps its not even the same as Merc set up nor the issues, even the IAC is totally different than Merc. As far as set up goes Volvo compared to Merc including all cooling parts are totally different and so is the set up. Just a heads up as most info up here you are going to get about the 8.1 is for Mercruiser so keep an eye on that because some of it or half it is not going to be what Volvo did for their marine build, Big difference in set ups once again. Many parts not even the same FYI.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

This an old thread and my first post, hoping that I could get some feedback on my situation. I have stock 2001 Crusader 8.1’s. They are stock but are the HO, 425 HP versions. I just had one rebuilt and doing the reassembly now. The shop who did the machine work said that they could only get a single roll chain. Is that an issue from a durability standpoint? He gave me back the old parts which included the sprockets so he didn’t just replace the chain itself.

Also, I installed the cam sensor (old style black one) and thought it didn’t seat totally flush to the block. I gave it a slight tap and stopped then installed the bolt. I’ll compare that to the other engine which I haven’t broken down yet. Does that have anything to do with a different chain/sprocket setup? Is there any reliability reason to upgrade to the newer/raised cover and sensor?

thanks
Bob

P.S. - sounds like I should have a spare cam sensor on board either way

Last edited by BobCT; 12-17-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:45 AM
BUP
Banned

you can not install single timing sprocket(s) when using the CURRENT cam sensor if that's what you want to do.. Using the current cam sensor has to use a double roller set up so the sensor reluctor wheel matches the cam sensor and vise versa. The timing cover and its depth has to match all this as well to get the correct gap for the cam sensor to the reluctor wheel so the ecm can receive that signal for a jist of info. There is a kit one can buy that updates all this and uses the current sensor. I do not have any of these kits in stock currently but can put my order in at anytime.

Also if helps ---- I do have the 2001 cam sensor and the 2002 / 2003 cam sensor in stock. Again these cam sensors has to match the timing cover and the cam reluctor wheel on the cam sprocket. This will work for the 2001 496s as I believe you are looking for ?

Last edited by BUP; 12-22-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:53 AM
BUP
Banned

lightly lube the o ring for the install -- do hit the cam sensor with a hammer to install. If you use a hammer depending --- can cause an indent to the timing cover that will jack the sensor up against the reluctor wheel.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
you can not install single timing sprocket(s). It has to be a double roller and the sensor reluctor wheel has to match the cam sensor and vise versa. The timing cover has to match all this as well to get the correct gap for the cam sensor to the reluctor wheel so the ecm can receive that signal for a jist of info. There is a kit one can buy that all updates this and uses the current sensor. I do not have any in stock currently but can put my order in at anytime.

Also I do have the 2001 cam sensor and the 2002 / 2003 cam sensor in stock. Again these cam sensors has to match the timing cover and the cam reluctor wheel on the cam sprocket.
Can you use the 2004 timing cover ,sensor and single row timing gear and chain.Do Merc still sell the 2004 double row gears and chain
Old 12-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Registered

Last edited by AusScarab29; 12-22-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Realised it was an old thread
Old 12-22-2019, 05:53 PM
BUP
Banned

^^^^^^^ the timing cover is width ( spaced) to except the double roller chain sprockets. Keep in mind the double roller cam sprocket has the reluctor that the cam sensor needs to be gapped properly per cam reluctor so the signal is not lost to the ecm. A single row sprocket will not work period.

keep in mind the crank sprocket is for a double roller chain as well so all this is in perfect alignment. .

Last edited by BUP; 12-22-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
^^^^^^^ the timing cover is width ( spaced) to except the double roller chain sprockets. Keep in mind the double roller cam sprocket has the reluctor that the cam sensor needs to be gapped properly per cam reluctor so the signal is not lost to the ecm. A single row sprocket will not work period.

keep in mind the crank sprocket is for a double roller chain as well so all this is in perfect alignment. .
so to use the single row timing gear you would need to use a timing cover from a truck ?
Merc dont sell the double row sprocket any longer,so I have no other option but to use a single row
Old 12-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AusScarab29
Merc dont sell the double row sprocket any longer,so I have no other option but to use a single row
Mercruiserparts.com shows both sprockets and chain available. Your going to pay $$ for them though.

cam 892640001. $251
crank 881655 $129
chain 881626 $270

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.