Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Replacing Exhaust Manifolds on Twins? >

Replacing Exhaust Manifolds on Twins?

Notices

Replacing Exhaust Manifolds on Twins?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Replacing Exhaust Manifolds on Twins?

My manifolds are leaking (rusted through) so I need to replace them. Trying to decide if this is a job I want to tackle myself. I'm mostly concerned with the two inboard ones as they are pretty tight. Have you guys done it? How hard is it? Is it less work to pull the motors, or at least one of them?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Not very difficult. Pull risers. Pull cooling hose. Then 8 bolts. However if they are that rusty the bolts could be in bad shape also. I had to grind some of the heads off mine but motors were out of boat so much easier.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

You're engine's are much closer than mine, I can remove my bench seat in 2 mins. for even more access and I paid a mobile mechanic $850 to do the work. Very glad I did after seeing the BS he had to go through. I did Y-pipe flappers at the same time while the components were off, cheap insurance.

Keep in mind the manifolds aren't held in place with studs (at least not on mine) so you have to hold a 50 lb. slug while feeding in bolts and hope not to cross thread etc. You may also be battling hard to remove and potentially broken bolts. Not any fun in that cramped engine bay nor mine with more room.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, decided not to mess with them because I got a quote for replacement of about $800 labor. Well worth not having to deal with the hassle.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Yeah, decided not to mess with them because I got a quote for replacement of about $800 labor. Well worth not having to deal with the hassle.
IMO a good cash layout for the work involved. If you have the time watch the procedure in case you want to DIY the next time. My mechanic threw my port starter in at the same time as it's much more accessible with the exhaust off and was cranking slow as well. He said it can be done with the exhaust on, must be a magician.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 801 Likes on 378 Posts

Holy moly this thread makes it sound like your trying to enrich uranium.

They are log headers...it’s 8-12 bolts per manifold. Figure it out just like a shop would. Think we’ve had ours off and on 4-5 times last year. Takes 20-40 mins.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Like you said 1 rusted bolt turns the 1 hr job into all day, Been there and just did that. In the end I had to pound a 13mm, 12 point socket onto the head since the rust actually made the head of the bolt smaller. Took me 3-4 hours to remove 1 manifold. I also had one engine already removed so i had working working room.

Always comes down to time and money. Some people have more time less money, others have no time but more money.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Holy moly this thread makes it sound like your trying to enrich uranium.

They are log headers...it’s 8-12 bolts per manifold. Figure it out just like a shop would. Think we’ve had ours off and on 4-5 times last year. Takes 20-40 mins.
You're obviously well versed, it was our first time and didn't know what to expect and maybe didn't the tools which make the job easier.

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Like you said 1 rusted bolt turns the 1 hr job into all day, Been there and just did that. In the end I had to pound a 13mm, 12 point socket onto the head since the rust actually made the head of the bolt smaller. Took me 3-4 hours to remove 1 manifold. I also had one engine already removed so i had working working room.

Always comes down to time and money. Some people have more time less money, others have no time but more money.
Exactly, nothing ever easy! The simplest jobs turn into the biggest headaches. Furthermore, some have major spine issues, other surgically repaired body parts, aches and pains etc.