Notices

502 Oiling issue

Old 05-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

if he spun this thing to 2 grand there should be oil in the up top.......even @ idle, the engine was never primed prior to starting ? are the oil lines all stock Merc, if so with the inverted flair ends I dont think you can reverse them........you need to trace out all the lines and make sure.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 05-18-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Normally the new oil pump comes with the pickup attached, your old one should have been the same way.
Here is the one that should have been in the motor

Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. 827643 PUMP ASSY-OIL Genuine OEM Mercury Marine-Mercruiser part

Others do make a good point that maybe a rocker nut is coming loose or a stud is starting to extract.

It is just a light ticking correct?
yeah a slight tick, but loud enough I can hear it from drivers seat without engine cover
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
if he spun this thing to 2 grand there should be oil in the up top.......even @ idle, the engine was never primed prior to starting ? are the oil lines all stock Merc, if so with the inverted flair ends I dont think you can reverse them........you need to trace out all the lines and make sure.
engine was primed with valve covers on, all lines are stock mercury lines and oil set up. I don't believe it ticks at a higher RPM..
Old 05-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

did you prime the engine prior to lashing the valves to get the lifters full of oil
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Registered

did you prime the engine prior to lashing the valves to get the lifters full of oil
bolt down rocker arms.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ya, I know how they work......good luck
Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Registered

ya, I know how they work......good luck
I wasn't being a smart ass lol, I just assumed you thought I had adjustable rockers. How do you set the last on a bolt down factory rocker? Or do I just loosen all of them and prime engine? If that would be the process no I didn't. I installed engine and then primed engine.

Last edited by Dutchboy; 05-18-2018 at 07:31 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Seeing we're on the topic can I ask for clarification on a similar observation ?
Stock 502MPI about 265hours Merc 25/40 oil since new. 40psi oil pressure max .
When running if you peep into the fill tube the rocker that is visible is always dry . I've never removed the rocker covers when running though.
Is this really normal ?
On an old Ford 351 that I used to have within seconds of startup you could see oil pissing everywhere all over the push rods and rockers.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Seeing we're on the topic can I ask for clarification on a similar observation ?
Stock 502MPI about 265hours Merc 25/40 oil since new. 40psi oil pressure max .
When running if you peep into the fill tube the rocker that is visible is always dry . I've never removed the rocker covers when running though.
Is this really normal ?
On an old Ford 351 that I used to have within seconds of startup you could see oil pissing everywhere all over the push rods and rockers.
LoL its funny you reference a Ford. I'm a Ford guy and can say that any SBF I have ever had if you looked in the valve covers there was always puddles of oil. From what I am gathering from the BBC stuff is that, it just oils enough and rolls back down into the head. not a 100% sure though.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchboy
LoL its funny you reference a Ford. I'm a Ford guy and can say that any SBF I have ever had if you looked in the valve covers there was always puddles of oil. From what I am gathering from the BBC stuff is that, it just oils enough and rolls back down into the head. not a 100% sure though.
Yep , that's what I'd like to have cleared up , once and for all. If I had a problem I'm sure that something serious would have gone wrong by now as it's been like this since new. But to be honest it always sounds like it has excessive valve train noise , like it's lacking oil.
By comparison that old 351 even when it was near 20 years old was so quiet the suck of the carb was the loudest thing coming from the engine. I'll always miss that little motor .