Notices

502 Oiling issue

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 502 Oiling issue

I just recently pulled the 502 Mag out of my boat. We rebuilt the engine, and sent it off to be assembled in the boat. I have been helping the whole way with the install, the only part I wasn't around for was putting all the accessories back on the block. I got the engine fired up yesterday and could hear a slight tick in the valve train. I let it warm up thinking maybe the oil was too thick and needed to warm up or it would just lube up and go away.
Well it didn't. the noise didn't get any louder, just consistent. So I revved the engine to about 2k RPM and the sound I think went away, but at idle I could still here it. So I pulled the filler caps of the valve covers and there was no oil in the heads. For some reason I'm not getting any oil on the valve train. I'm not sure what has happened. Maybe a hose is backwards, or something just isn't right. Boat makes 40psi at idle and runs like a champ. I'm going to pull the valve covers off this weekend but wanted to get the advice of some pros before going any further, or at least have some direction.
Rebuilt 502, just honed, re-ringed, re-bearinged, new pump and gaskets, the heads were slightly ported, and up graded to a 2.25 valve and better springs. stock cam, and accessories. the only things different are the CMI headers, and Valves/ Valve Springs. I put 20w50 in it, but my buddy argues it was straight 40w. I put inexpensive oil in it for run time and to flush after a few hours. Either way any ideas is appreciated. Ill be monitoring this thread so if there is any questions or info I might have forgot to mention Ill be here to update. Thank you
Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

honed, re-ringed, re-bearinged, new pump and gaskets,
What did the oil pressure read after it was run for a bit?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
What did the oil pressure read after it was run for a bit?
40psi
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

There should not be a lot of oil on top of the heads. It flows up the pushrods and then drains back down.
You might just have a rocker arm that needs another 1/4 turn.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 725 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd look at the filter head,make sure oil comes out on the outside of the pad and goes back in the center.what lifters did you use and where did they come from.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 AM
Registered

I'm thinking a lifter isn't staying up
Old 05-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
There should not be a lot of oil on top of the heads. It flows up the pushrods and then drains back down.
You might just have a rocker arm that needs another 1/4 turn.
I didnt see any oil in the head. Im going to pull covers off this weekend. and see whats going on
Old 05-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I'd look at the filter head,make sure oil comes out on the outside of the pad and goes back in the center.what lifters did you use and where did they come from.
how would I go about doing this with out running the engine? prime it and pull the hoses?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I'm thinking a lifter isn't staying up
Im going to buy a set of lifters and pushrods I think. I was hoping to run this engine with out buying a **** ton of parts and I was going to source the parts to build a better engine in the winter.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dutchboy
Im going to buy a set of lifters and pushrods I think. I was hoping to run this engine with out buying a **** ton of parts and I was going to source the parts to build a better engine in the winter.
Shouldn't need push rods, but if you get a good set of lifters now, you can use them in the rebuild next year or so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.