Old 10-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

^^^^^^ A$$!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
there will be a billion different opinions about how to winterize - but also in the mix is what engines and drive propulsion one has is just as important for the lay up. I do know this for a fact 1000 percent buying 2 dollar and 3 dollar RV pink anti freeze is NOT a proper way to winterize nor is going to offer any corrosion protection period. Actually they can induce corrosion because of the alcohol content they all contain,. Think about it for 2 or 3 dollars how much corrosion additives can be in that mix and be profitable for the store selling it.. Merc has done the study on alot of those cheaped priced pink anti freezes that many sell.
contain ethanol
Gen 4 502's..Bravo X's. Oil and filters changed, drive fluids changed. all water fittings been disconected and has been drained. Frost plugs removed and been drained. It was said no need to run anti-freeze through the system. This is where I pause to question.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not afraid ,, I open up my sea strainer , no t stats fire the engines of course one at a time . pour gallon of 100 percent automotive through it , follow up with another 50 /50 mix . fog engine till it dies , same for other motor ,, of couse making sure exaust is pure green on my tarp ive placed on the ground . drain headers , fuel boals . add stable . , pour some in the drain n toulet .even though don't use it , tender the batteries once a month , easy chit

Last edited by ROB FREEMAN; 10-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never an issue.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

I’ll take my chances with antifreeze and alcohol then leaving the engines void of anything...air is a bigger proponent of corrosion than alcohol. Just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

all rv antifreeze is not created equally,bup is correct on some brands and incorrect on others.in the marina i,m in if you get cought using automotive antifreeze you are booted.the owner is a stickler.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:10 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

you guys are funny - Never want ethanol in your fuel but its ok in your anti freeze. Ethanol Its hard on seals and rubber and metal. - all raw water sides has rust in there regardless before one even winterizes.

. here is the ZECOL RV plus - one of the main additives is ETHANOL.
also to let you know - some engine manu marine recommend just pulling hoses and drain plugs - stab all holes to drain water - pull impeller and you are done for winterizing the water sides.

Also keep in mind with ethanol anti freeze or a form of it added into the mix -- the flash point is very LOW. In this case its only 148 F for this ZECOL plus RV AF. . WOW that is low and IMO not safe if one uses a bilge heater on top of. Be careful.

https://www.northwinds.us/msds/RV%20...EZE%20MSDS.pdf

Last edited by BUP; 10-08-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain

Never an issue.
Yup I have used this for 20 years now on all my 4 different boats and for the last 13 years on 5 different boats of my buddies on the dock. Never an issue. My buddies don't drain it after running it in. I drain all the water, then run in 5 gallons of this in, then drain again. Ethanol may be bad but in this formulation it does not do any obvious damage to any engine components. Some of these engines have been torn down and rebuilt due to other issues and again, nothing was found internally to indicate a problem using good ol' cheap Zecol..
Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

There is a guy in Canada that early this year had a cracked intake, and near as he can tell is because of using the -50 stuff (on other forum). Says he did it the same way he has done for many years on the same boat. Only difference is it got much colder then normal. Probably should have used -100 stuff, or left it empty. Now did he winterize the exact same way, was something missed, don't know for sure, only he does

All I know is air don't freeze (as Bondo puts it), so nothing inside, so no chance of anything going to break
Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
There is a guy in Canada that early this year had a cracked intake, and near as he can tell is because of using the -50 stuff (on other forum). Says he did it the same way he has done for many years on the same boat. Only difference is it got much colder then normal. Probably should have used -100 stuff, or left it empty. Now did he winterize the exact same way, was something missed, don't know for sure, only he does

All I know is air don't freeze (as Bondo puts it), so nothing inside, so no chance of anything going to break
That is why I always drain the pink out after running it in. I don't trust it. However, we've never seen an issue in any of the boats that don't drain the pink and we've seen temps in the -20's around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.