Notices

Stock 502 block

Old 10-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 502 block

Hello to all, I spun #7 bearing on my brand new 502 (10 hrs,3 under load), the cylinder walls appear to be fine. I would like to keep the pistons (Bore (in):4.466 in.,Piston Style:Flat top, with single valve relief, Piston Material:Forged aluminum) in it. Do I need to change them because the wrist pins may have shavings in them? I want to change everything else including the heads, because they are Iron oval ports. It is an MPI, but I believe I want to go to a carb. I would like to be somewhere in the area of 500HP-600HP 550-600FPT. I know I am asking a lot but would be awesome if someone could give me some direction on what parts, numbers & brands I should be looking at. I want to build it myself, since I have rebuilt a 455 years ago and believe I can do it. I am looking for the following parts list off the top of my head, and if there are other things please list.
Crank
Rods
Bearings
Cam
Heads fully dressed or if not what rocker arms, valves, push rods etc...
Intake
Carb
Not sure what distrubutor or should I keep my stock one?
Anything else please list or suggest.
Thank you in advance!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Step 1 would be to find out why the bearing spun.

If you need a crank, then its a no brainer to stroke it to a 540 and buy a complete rotating assembly.
You can't just slap parts together for a marine engine. ALL the clearances need be checked precisely or it will just destroy itself again.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Why not figure out why the bearing spun, clean everything thoroughly, a quick hone and new rings, and put it back together? 9.5:1, Crane 741, new heads should put you in the 550hp range. Any more than that and you’ll be reinventing the drive and rigging which adds up hugely quickly. SRP makes a set of pistons just .002 oversized so you can hone with a torque plate and leave the block near factory.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 10-22-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Registered

If you are still interested in parts I have/will have the following available...
502 ZZ cam in excellent condition
New Pro Comp oval port heads, still in the boxes
New oval port intake
Old 10-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast N Loud
If you are still interested in parts I have/will have the following available...
502 ZZ cam in excellent condition
New Pro Comp oval port heads, still in the boxes
New oval port intake

Isn't the 502ZZ a street cam? PM me with prices if you wish.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

I have dry to the tip headers and still had puddles of water in the primaries when I pulled off the exhaust when running a ZZ502 cam. The Lsa is just too narrow for marine unless you have completely dry exhaust.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Registered

The cam was removed from a 502 crate motor that was bought from 1800runsnew, they only sale marine engines. Previous owner had Stainless Marine exhaust.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

You better plan on buying new oil coolers also.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

By the time you end up with time and money spent on machine work and new parts etc you might consider looking at some of sick stingers engines for sale. Just a thought but your going to have some money into this from what it sounds. All depends on what your end goals are and how much you want to spend. Just curious you mentioned it was a brand new 502 engine with 10 hrs but was it a marine engine?