Raylar 540 VP 496 upgrade low oil pressure >

Raylar 540 VP 496 upgrade low oil pressure

Notices

Raylar 540 VP 496 upgrade low oil pressure

Old 11-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Injectors need maintenance, when you get one plugged up, weak coil etc, bad things happen (original failure). Thats why I bought a 10,000$ ASNU injector flow bench for doing my customers injectors , guys send them in mail order too, I see some terrible things, usually after a failure. I registered on other site to see the thread on the new motor, Smitty
Old 11-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barrync I sent you a PM
Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Registered

So I had near about forgot about this post.

Here us the latest, engine has been with the local machine shop for about 4 months now, cause they're slower than molasses, but do good work. What ended up being the course of action was basically a rebuild because the cam and crank bearing were in poor shape. Crank got polished and new cam is being put it, the last thing I will ever buy from Raylar. No damage to the pistons or cylinder walls. Oiling system has been a hurdle, they had to call a big block oil pump guru in Illinois for advice on the correct oil pump to feed the overkill oiling system, basically turned into a pump that might be found on a 600-700 CID monster truck engine...... Now they said I could has blocked off the piston cooling jets, but I like the idea of extra cooling.

So in the end, Raylar sold me an out of tolerance piece of crap that I should have had built locally from the start. This learning adventure has cost me an additional 3000, 500 alone in an oil pump. Should be back in the boat soon. All that said, my local builder is saying now I should easily see 1000hrs or better out of this block, hopefully by then I'm on to a bigger boat.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Did you use a filter cutter to see IF there was anything in the filter, its like a 35$ investment. The minute you had issues IF you had cut it open then you'd know NOT to run it more if you saw metal. You blew up your last motor, did you reuse the pan, oil lines, oil cooler and filter housing on the new motor?
I did chop it open, nothing significant, couple very small aluminum flakes, never tested the oil, we assume it was bearing material.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Did you get an alarm?
Kind of late, but, run a mechanical gauge to see if you get the same results.
Yes I run a mechanical but it's under the hatch, moving that with the reinstall to a newly installed gunnel hatch.

Yes alarms, but I was already watching it.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

So, the bearing clearances were high and motor had piston oilers which required more volume than your pump could put out? Are you going to dyno it so you can see everythings good under controlled conditions?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
So, the bearing clearances were high and motor had piston oilers which required more volume than your pump could put out? Are you going to dyno it so you can see everythings good under controlled conditions?
Basically. The thing is I installed the pump recommended by Raylar, it wasn't even close to being enough.

Not putting on a dyno, I'm broke, cheaper for me to put it in the boat and run it. I have O2 sensors and fuel pressure guage now so I have enough to evaluate if its running good.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Its odd, there are dozens, if not hundreds of this set-up out there running. I'm one of them. I have almost 200 hours on mine. I personally know several guys that have the 540 shortblock and a dozen on OSO with 525's and 600's with no problems.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Its odd, there are dozens, if not hundreds of this set-up out there running. I'm one of them. I have almost 200 hours on mine. I personally know several guys that have the 540 shortblock and a dozen on OSO with 525's and 600's with no problems.
Same oiling system? What oil pump did they use?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Possible issue was oil drain back into the pan issue - not fast enough or held too much oil in the top end. There was a few 496 s in marine trim that had that problem.

Also what intake manifold gaskets were used here ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.