Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
At the end of my rope chasing this fuel supply issue.........HELP please! >

At the end of my rope chasing this fuel supply issue.........HELP please!

Notices

At the end of my rope chasing this fuel supply issue.........HELP please!

Old 07-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry At the end of my rope chasing this fuel supply issue.........HELP please!

**Sorry for the long post**

I've been chasing an ongoing, intermittent fuel supply/delivery issue for a couple years now and am just about to sell the boat it has me so frustrated. I usually try to do most maintenance/repairs myself but don't have the time currently with my work schedule. So, I was going to have someone fix it. But unfortunately now with all the used boat sales and this COVID crap nobody can even LOOK at the boat for 6-8 weeks. Well, that's almost the end of the season for me. So I'm going to try to figure something out and do it myself.

Boat is a 96 240 with a 454 Mag/Bravo 1. The previous owner converted it to carb with an electric fuel pump. The electric pump is mounted low on the starboard side bulkhead/backseat in the bilge. Fuel line runs from tank to stock fuel/water separator, to pump then to carb. I put new fuel lines from tank throughout in 2018 along with new Holley 750 carb. The issue I'm having is the fuel pump is not getting fuel. After replacing several pumps over the years (all different brandsa and models from Holley to Edelbrock) I finally took the back seat out to gain access to the pickup and the anti siphon valve. After spending a day and a half doing this I find their isn't a check valve, just a straight barb. Of course the pickup fitting looks to be welded to the tank? So, new electric pump again and filter, primes and runs fine on trailer in driveway and on the lake for a month. Then one day leaving lake it does the same thing again, had to be towed in because couldn't get it started. Carb completely dry, pump working but no fuel getting from tank to pump, fuel line dry. That was the last run of the season and I was fed up so couple weeks later used an external tank and winterized the boat, put it up and forgot about it.

Fast forward to this season, get it out of storage, new pump again, filter, oil change, mechanic checked carb/adjusted and right out of winter it fired up with fuel from the separator to prime. Took it out once and ran fine all day, then got busy at work and haven't had a chance to use the boat until last weekend. Fired up on the ramp off the trailer, ran great for a couple hours running up the lake (started and stopped several times). Stopped to swim and hang out in the water for a while (raised hatch and ran blower) and 2 hours later when leaving it did the same exact thing again and had to be towed in.

So, this HAS to be in the tank right? Pickup tube broken/cracked? Something blocking filter/screen on bottom of tube (if it has a filter/screen). The issue is how do I replace it? I've seen guys say it's not fixable and I have to buy a new fuel tank? That's fine I guess but would really rather enjoy the rest of the summer and do it over the winter. Does anyone have a pic of the stock pickup tube from a mid/late 90's Baja? What about the elbow fitting/barb on the tank? It looked welded on and not able to be replaced, plus I've heard horror stories of guys breaking the fitting and ruining the tank trying to remove. The only other issue is trying to put fuel in the boat. I try to keep it full but last two times using it I haven't been able to fill the boat without pouring it out the vent next to the fuel fill. I've taken my time and gone slow (took almost 15 minutes to pump 5 gallons in the tank). So I figured it might be my problem and blew compressed air in the vent. Tried to put more gas in and still wouldn't take any fuel. The gauge (which is probably wrong shows 5/8-3/4 tank of fuel). When trying to get it running Saturday while stuck in a cove I took both vent and fuel fill off thinking it might help get fuel to the pump but no dice.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 809 Likes on 456 Posts

I would have pulled the pick up long ago just to verify the length was correct (if possible from your description???) and clear of debris (also, with the sender out (for 5 screws its added peace of mind) take a flashlight and look at the condition of the tank and if there is anything in the tank that can plug up the pick-up)). I have seen plastic/ rags and even leaves in a tank clogging up the pick up filter... drag the clients boat in and it would restart as the sloshing around/ no draw cleared the pick up again... sh*t happens and can be very frustrating

You can have a broken or cracked pickup... or too short if its a long standing issue...as the fuel burns down/ trailer angle compensated to tilt the fuel towards the p/u, it simply pulls air at a certain level...its a definite starting point and a lot less $$$ than replacing pumps. Will your pump pull fuel from a 5 gallon can when it won't pull from the tank? (Zeroing in to the pick up and tank)

If you can't pump fuel into the boat at any speed, it also indicates a venting issue - have you checked the routing of the vent hose? Clean sweep up to the vent is ideal... any belly in the hose will trap fuel and work like a plumbing trap and prevent air from passing. Suction when you open the fuel fill? If yes, this will limit fuel to the pump...

Good Luck.

Last edited by speicher lane; 07-21-2020 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TBAG (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Yup. Customers 88 Wellcraft 2 yrs ago had a cork float on sender and part of it dissolved off and would suck up agsinst pickbup tube at a certsin low level. Shut off engine for a few and start back up and run okay for 10 minutes or more and then happen again. Found it by temovibg sender when at low fuel level. I sucked out the rest.

Another tank was plastic and a blob of plastic tank was swirling around, held to bottom of tank by small string of plastic tank material) blocking iff pick up once in a while.

Frustrating but easy to find, again, with fuel lever sensor out and very little or no fuel in tank to take a look.
TBAG (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a primer bulb ( like on outboard ) before the fuel pump to prime everything , never had a problem. Then on number 1 fuel tank the motor would run out of fuel and I noticed the primer bulb was collapsed and that let me know I had a blockage.
The following 2 users liked this post by 30ftpanther:
SB (07-21-2020), TBAG (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
I would have pulled the pick up long ago just to verify the length was correct (if possible from your description???) and clear of debris (also, with the sender out (for 5 screws its added peace of mind) take a flashlight and look at the condition of the tank and if there is anything in the tank that can plug up the pick-up)). I have seen plastic/ rags and even leaves in a tank clogging up the pick up filter... drag the clients boat in and it would restart as the sloshing around/ no draw cleared the pick up again... sh*t happens and can be very frustrating

You can have a broken or cracked pickup... or too short if its a long standing issue...as the fuel burns down/ trailer angle compensated to tilt the fuel towards the p/u, it simply pulls air at a certain level...its a definite starting point and a lot less $$$ than replacing pumps. Will your pump pull fuel from a 5 gallon can when it won't pull from the tank? (Zeroing in to the pick up and tank)

If you can't pump fuel into the boat at any speed, it also indicates a venting issue - have you checked the routing of the vent hose? Clean sweep up to the vent is ideal... any belly in the hose will trap fuel and work like a plumbing trap and prevent air from passing. Suction when you open the fuel fill? If yes, this will limit fuel to the pump...

Good Luck.
Yeah, that was my fault for not doing the pickup and sender while I had the entire hatch and back seat out to access the anti siphon valve. But, like mentioned, it looks like the pickup wasn't removable because the valve and fitting looked to be welded to the tank? I'm sure I'm wrong? Yes, pump will pull from an external portable tank. I need to check the vent and filler hose but I blew compressed air into the vent hose and heard the air make the tank expand and pop. Also tried to open the fuel fill while stranded on the lake trying to get the boat to get fuel from the tank, it didn't work.

Thanks for the help, just trying to maybe fix it before taking the time and labor to pull the seat and hatch to gain access. Not a fun job outside in the 100 degree sun.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
I had a primer bulb ( like on outboard ) before the fuel pump to prime everything , never had a problem. Then on number 1 fuel tank the motor would run out of fuel and I noticed the primer bulb was collapsed and that let me know I had a blockage.
We tried that and the primer bulb (not junk) and after one outing it collapsed the innards. I also thought it was dangerous and janky so I'd rather not do that again. But that also helps make the pickup tube the main culprit. Thanks
SB (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 04:01 PM
SB
Registered

If the fuel tank pickup is indeed part of the tank (welded) I would be making a pickup thru the sender. if you end up having to do this measure or eyeball how far back of tank is and lets us know. Sure we, oso peeps, can figure out something.

with fuel out of tank and sender out, if you don’t see a restriction, blow thru line into tank and see if something spits out.

as far as removing fuel, remove all battery power from boat, then use an electric pump with hose connection and put hose into empty sender hose and pump into truck/carsetc. I use a filter un the outlet so as not to put possible junk into the cars/trucks/etc.

Last edited by SB; 07-21-2020 at 04:03 PM.
TBAG (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Does sound like a vent restriction

I try to keep it full but last two times using it I haven't been able to fill the boat without pouring it out the vent next to the fuel fill. I've taken my time and gone slow (took almost 15 minutes to pump 5 gallons in the tank).
We tried that and the primer bulb (not junk) and after one outing it collapsed the innards.
This is a vent or pickup, and as others have mentioned check the fill and vent lines. Checking I would suggest removing, inspect and reinstall

Only way to collapse the pump bulb is from a vacuum or clog.

Remove fuel pump line and use a piece of string trimmer line and push down into the pickup tube. If it stops then pul out and see how far it wnet in
TBAG (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 381 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If the fuel tank pickup is indeed part of the tank (welded) I would be making a pickup thru the sender. if you end up having to do this measure or eyeball how far back of tank is and lets us know. Sure we, oso peeps, can figure out something.

with fuel out of tank and sender out, if you don’t see a restriction, blow thru line into tank and see if something spits out.

as far as removing fuel, remove all battery power from boat, then use an electric pump with hose connection and put hose into empty sender hose and pump into truck/carsetc. I use a filter un the outlet so as not to put possible junk into the cars/trucks/etc.

Agree sounds like restriction, but shouldn’t the pump be pushing through the filter instead of pulling since it’s an electric pump?
Don’t know why this posted so strange, sorry.
TBAG (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:46 PM
SB
Registered

Depends with some pumps. Merc and Volvo’s electric pumps pull fuel thru the separator first . Volvo’s stands straight up from top of separator housing. Lol. Anyway, those work for some reason my mind doesn’t really wrap around either.

The OP put a primer bulb in between tank and separator. It is getting pulled flat, so this shows the restriction is before the bulb.

Last edited by SB; 07-21-2020 at 08:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
liberator221 (07-22-2020), PA.WOODCHUCK (07-25-2020), TBAG (07-22-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.