Notices

Ecm 555 connector repin

Old 08-25-2020, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ecm 555 connector repin

Hello. Has anyone ever repinned an ecm 555 connector? Reason for this is because of an intermittent problem will be solved. Socket 19 on the A connector on the 555 ecm has a loose connection or socket causing the fuel pump relay not to run when in start position and sporadic rpm drops now and again. This is the green wire that come from the fuel pump relay coil side and is toggled to negative by 555 ecm to energize fuel pump relay coil. I see mercruiser sells a depinning tool. I have a 2004 boat with twin engines. I can see these loose sockets in plugs that fit on the ecm pins become problems later on and can easily be misdiagnosed as a faulty ecm or other parts needlessly being changed out. What you guys think?

Last edited by simpson8; 08-25-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Words left out
Old 08-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 308 Likes on 188 Posts

Never re-pinned a 555 connector but I've done it on automotive ECMs and other equip. Finding the correct replacement pin/s will be the tricky part. Also, you'll need a special crimping tool for new pin/s in addition to the de-pinning tool (pin-pusher). One issue you may run into (if you rpl just one pin), is one wire will be shorter than the rest so it may constantly have pressure on it which will lead to another failure. Depends on the specific installation/ routing of the harness.
A couple ways to get around that, but what I found was the quickest/easiest way was to find another (used) harness and steal the pin you want along with enough wire to splice into your existing harness at a convenient location. The extra harness will come in handy for practiceing pin removal/insertion and provides lots of additional hard to find connectors for future projects/repairs.

The other option (to make all the wires the same length) is to re-pin the entire connector and hope you don't screw one up.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pin conncetors

Does anyone knw where I can get the female pins that go into the ecm 555 plug, I have a broken one and the tools to do it , just need the pins
Old 02-26-2021, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Blydenburgh
Does anyone knw where I can get the female pins that go into the ecm 555 plug, I have a broken one and the tools to do it , just need the pins

try here
Boats Unlimited | Marine Technician Service | Inspections (boatunlimited.com)
Old 02-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a harness I've been using for pieces. Let me check it tomorrow for that connector. If I have it you can dm me your address and I'll mail it to you.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

I do have that wire if you want it.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can figure out what what the name of the pin, or part number. I can bet that https://www.mouser.com/ has it. It is where I ordered my replacement pins and connectors form for my MEFI3 harness