Notices

Bad Riser?

Old 09-15-2020, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
What are your cam specs??? It could be reversion due to cam overlap. Stock HP500 cams were known to cause water reversion at idle

Cam specs are as follows......Intake - 284 Exhaust - [email protected] In - 224 Ex - 224 with a 112 Lob sep angle. I ordered it from Hardin marine with the guidance of one of the techs.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
If the oil in the dipstick is clean then I agree with resurrected...... its just condensation. If there was water getting into the oil it would really be whipped up to a froth and showing on the dipstick.

What oil are you running ? Oil temp ?
I'm going to put it back together this week and try to run it this weekend. I'm running valvoline VR1 10w40. Oil temp never really came up and I didn't really pay attention. I only ran it long enough to load the engine down a couple of times and then did one short run down a short stretch of lake. I will be sure to document that this weekend.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by 97advantage
Cam specs are as follows......Intake - 284 Exhaust - [email protected] In - 224 Ex - 224 with a 112 Lob sep angle. I ordered it from Hardin marine with the guidance of one of the techs.
That is fairly small cam for 502. Smaller than a stock HP500cam. It should not have reversion.
https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1161...-camshaft.aspx
Old 10-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Clean on the stick and milky just under the valve covers means your not getting it up to temp long enough. Could be too cold a thermostat. Could be just not running it long enough once it's warmed up. It takes a while to evaporator it out of the oil. Your car will do the same thing if you never drive it more than a few miles at a time. But no one ever looks at their car looking for issues of condensation.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Registered

For sure, I have new riser gaskets that I am going to put on the exhaust and try to run it again. I know it was leaking there and hopefully once i have that sured up, it will be all good.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Paint this stuff on both sides of gaskets. Wear gloves and if your are doing it in a boat, keep the can in a small pail or a 2 gallon bucket. Seems it always gets kicked or knocked over.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/?locale=en_us

Last edited by Blueabyss; 10-17-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 97advantage
i saw on my maiden voyage was water seeping between the riser/header gaskets.
maybe not the same but on my Gil manifolds the threaded holes for the manifold to risers studs and NOT blind. They need sealant. Are the Hardins the same way? Are the holes for the risers studs drilled thru? Did you put sealant on the manifold to riser studs?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Paint this stuff on both sides of gaskets. Wear gloves and if your are doing it in a boat, keep the can in a small pail or a 2 gallon bucket. Seems it always gets kicked or knocked over.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/?locale=en_us
Good Idea! Thanks

Originally Posted by phughes69
maybe not the same but on my Gil manifolds the threaded holes for the manifold to risers studs and NOT blind. They need sealant. Are the Hardins the same way? Are the holes for the risers studs drilled thru? Did you put sealant on the manifold to riser studs?
You are correct. I thought that they would be blind but when i took them apart they are drilled through on the exhaust side. I don't think there is any chance of water getting to the studs unless the header is bad.