Notices

Mufflers for 502 HO ?

Old 09-21-2020, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers for 502 HO ?

Hey everyone... what mufflers would be a good choice for a 502ci HO motor? I like the growl and all but I would rather not hear it!

I am willing to keep a bit more sound for a muffler that reduces noise less but preserves power/efficiency.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

I installed Corsa 4 inch mufflers on mine before repowering and liked it. The new motor has more power so now use turn downs so it quite when at the dock
Old 09-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

GGB used to make the best marine mufflers, but they stopped making them. I used to run Gibson clamp on, but with 700hp they slow me down so I removed them. I installed the Daytona Sensors ignition which allows me to idle at 650rpm in gear for extended periods which helps with the noise going for cruises down the river. Although I have to warn people when I start it at the dock so they don't get startled and fall in. When you're going fast (70-80) all you hear is wind noise anyway. I have been asking the same question for years and other than GGB everything else will slow you down. Turn downs are an option for some, but I have a big cam and reversion is an issue, so not for me.
The following users liked this post:
92nsx (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I am currently running a set of IMCO's now with little performance loss. I have a set of Gibson's Bullet 4" clamp on mufflers also but they seemed to loud for me to pass our states 84 db max limit. Id be willing to sell the Gibson's if you what them. 2 sets 4" clamp on
Old 09-22-2020, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
I am currently running a set of IMCO's now with little performance loss. I have a set of Gibson's Bullet 4" clamp on mufflers also but they seemed to loud for me to pass our states 84 db max limit. Id be willing to sell the Gibson's if you what them. 2 sets 4" clamp on
Thank you for the offer, however if they are too loud for you at 84db, I probably wouldn't like them. I will check out the IMCO options.

Are there any water box options? or do that cause a lot of performance loss?
Old 09-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
What is your states testing protocol? What HP are you pushing and what is your exhaust? I'm pushing 700hp through Lightning headers which are wet and I'm pretty sure I can pass 84db at idle with the Gibson clamp ons.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

If your stock about any would do, the stats are from a given distance.
Also if your stock and you want no issues at all, go with turn downs. I'm running 530HP and 3 inch extra up exhaust and don't have issue with reversion
Old 09-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

I’d keep my eyes open for some GGB inserts. The pop up on eBay from time to time.