Whipple Side Mount Help Needed. >

Whipple Side Mount Help Needed.

Notices

Whipple Side Mount Help Needed.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Whipple Side Mount Help Needed.

Hi, I just purchased a new to me boat. It's a 1998 Crownline 225BR that has the 454 Mag MPI and a Whipple side mount supercharger. It appears to be intercooled as there is a "box" in between the supercharger and intake that has water lines running to it. The engine is currently running MEFI 1 and the whipple-tronics to support the additional injectors. I got a deal on the boat because to previous owner went to run it and it wouldn't start. Mechanics diagnosed it as the extra injectors are stuck on. They disconnected the injectors and were able to run the boat and winterize it. I purchased it and drug it home, tried to fire it and it started right up with them unplugged. Since its winterized I ran for about 5-10 seconds and shut off. From reading, mostly post on here, it appears the whipple tronics are unobtainium and I should probably just use a custom fuel injection system or go to MEFI 4. So, I have a winter project. Since I need to remove all the whipple stuff I kinda need to know what is there and how it went on. I am very limited in knowledge of boats, not mechanics. From what I can tell they have added an extra fuel line coming from the water/fuel separator to an additional fuel pump with a return line to the water/fuel separator. I have also heard they used an EGT probe, but cannot find one. The boat has Stainless Marine headers. Anyone out there have a manual they wanna sell or perhaps send a copy of? I also will probably need to rebuild the Whipple, is there someone on here to contact. From reading, Justin at whipple used to be on here, anyone have his contact info or is there someone else who does this stuff? Thanks for any help in advance. This is my first boat! Should be a fun hot rod when done.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Message Smitty (Articfriends) on here. He has done several side mount setups, and the MEFI EFI you have can run the additional injectors without the Whipple add-on. He tunes MEFI as well.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

I have one of those whipple auxillary boxes thats good I would sell for a fair price but it would be better in long run for you to do it right.What I would suggest doing is to at a minimum, splice the auxillary injectors into each batch in your mefi and fire them with it. The best way would be to also wire in a rpm activated window switch to turn them on at a certain rpm (like 2200 to 2600) so they are not on when idling. The problem with this is you would definately need to get 02 readings and have someone tune it in your boat or learn to tune it yourself. The next problem is you have a Mefi-1, so it has very course fuel and timing tables that jump by alot between cells, it also doesn't have a fuel or timing "boost" table so you cant put in a 2 bar map sensor and pull timing under boost or add extra fuel .by the time you buy a mefi3 or 4 ecu and route out the spark/knock module , re pin your harness, you could probably buy a aftermarket efi system and install it on your motor. LMK if your interested in the whipple aux box I have or if you decided to dump the whole whipple system, I may be interested. Where are you located? Smitty

Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Just read your other post on this, sounds like you are fluent enough in efi and tuning to handle this easily, get the cheapest efi system you can that has boost timing and fuel tables , 2 bar map sensor capable, injector drivers that can run 10 injectors and Knock sensor provison and convert it. Theres nothing magic a mefi does, Smitty
Old 10-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks Smitty for the info. Do i need to run all 10 injectors? I heard the two extra ones in the throttle body are for cooling the rotors as well as fuel. I have heard other people say to use the extra injectors for methanol. Also, any chance you have a manual so I can see what all I need to remove? I appreciate the offer on the whipple box, seems kinda silly to try working with it.