Stelling Extension Box questions >

Stelling Extension Box questions

Notices

Stelling Extension Box questions

Old 11-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stelling Extension Box questions

Hello Members, im new to this and bought my first go fast, 36 SST this past summer, ive done alot of research learning about these obsolete stelling boxes, im going over the drives for reliability, just running Bravo 1s, I have a few questions about the Drive shaft angle, phazing, The boxes are mounted in the middle (-1) hole. The Drive Shafts are on a upward angle to the pillow block from the engine, Ive read the max drive shaft angle is 9 degrees, but preferred is < 3 degrees, I cannot raise the engines for the Gil thru hull exhaust comes thru just under the swim platform. Ive ordered a digital angle finder to determine the driveshaft angle. Im not worried about top speed, more about reliability,
here are my questions
1) can i move the box to the neutral position without pulling the Motors? if so, what to use for the transom gasket?
2) Im wanting to replace the bearings in the pillow blocks to sealed bearings?
3) Pull the Drive shafts to check/replace the UJoints, would any one know what the part # would be?

thanks
Old 11-10-2020, 09:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Somebody correct me but I believe the U joints are 4150's

No, you cant move them in a Baja without pulling the engines - you cant get to the bolts on the bottom and the engine rests on the inner transom plate.

Why do you want to move them - just for angle? If you want reliability, go back to no boxes or neutral (all the way down) but it will slow you down a lot. I dont think the 36 really reacts to them well anyway. Search for "Doc Holiday" its like a 100 page thread on a 36 redo with big power and had boxes on it, you will get some info on location, setup and best props.

The middle hole is fine, you dont need an angle meter, the angle is set in position 1,2 or 3. The mid position is just fine. Make sure the bearing carriers are REAL tight and you will have many years of stress-free boating. FWIW the bottom hole is straight...

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 11-10-2020 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kerlan (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Keith
Old 11-10-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Just grease the zerks inside the ext box every year and they will be fine. Mine are from 1997 and I squirt a couple pumps of grease into each zerk every year and so far so good.