496/bravo 3 winterize questions >

496/bravo 3 winterize questions

Notices

496/bravo 3 winterize questions

Old 11-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 496/bravo 3 winterize questions

Hey Guys, I am new the the closed cooling system style I have in my 2005 Formula. Has twin 496 mag with Bravo 3 outdrives. I have only had Alphas that used the ear muffs to winterize. I saw a few videos on how to winterize these engines and I just have some questions. all I do for the raw water system is open the bleeders and use the air pump on each engine? Do I run the motors on the ear muffs at all? I have upgraded the impellers to Hardin pumps on both motors. Will that be any different?

I was able to get the generator, and AC system done and the boat wrapped up before it started pouring rain but I still need to get the motors done at the end of this week. Thank you for the help!!
Old 11-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

The quick drain system is NOT a substitute for proper winterization. Use the muffs and run antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (11-13-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 372 Posts

The single and 3 point drains are problems waiting to happen. Pulling the drains works only if they actually drain all the water out. The issue is sediment can cause a clog and then there can be cracks come spring. Less chance with closed then open, but still there

If all the water comes out your good, and if your want to flush with AF afterwards even better
Old 11-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 265 Posts

I use the air pump to dump as much water as I can out before I run the antifreeze through.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Registered

I Pulled the drains and used air pump. plugged everything back up. hooked up ear muffs with 5 gal of antifreeze on the swim platform. Fired it up but didn't seem to take the coolant? Only ran for about 30 seconds. as nothing came out the exhaust. I pulled the plugs on impeller and intake had coolant. other side nothing. Thoughts? should i let it run longer?
Old 11-13-2020, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 265 Posts

I never had luck trying to get the pump to suck the antifreeze thru the ears. I wound up using a bilge pump in a bucket to pump the antifreeze into the ears.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,426 Posts

probably didnt even fill the block and coolers running for 30 sec, as long as its pulling coolant you'll be fine, the exhaust is the highest point so it take a bit of time, you may of lost prime to the pump
The following users liked this post:
SC288 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Registered

thanks guys. pretty sure its lost its prime. I have a 12v pump I use to do the Gen/AC system I should be able to make it work. Will keep the thread updated
Old 11-13-2020, 11:05 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 536 Posts

I hope you ran the AC system and not just force feed the antifreeze through the system while turned off.....i work for March Pumps (which are probably in 75% of the boats out there) and the most common issue we get in the spring time is pumps leaking due to not being winterized properly. The single most common pump out there is our LC-3 which is a liquid cooled pump....it has two cooling lines attached to the pump head and go into the motor body...that tube is about 3' long before its bent up and wrapped around the motor. If you don't run the pump you don't get any antifreeze into that line...and water WILL dilute the antifreeze over the winter in the pump head too. So you might get lucky and not crack a tube but more then likely it will pop the freeze plugs out of the pump head and leak when it goes back into the water next year..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
I hope you ran the AC system and not just force feed the antifreeze through the system while turned off.....i work for March Pumps (which are probably in 75% of the boats out there) and the most common issue we get in the spring time is pumps leaking due to not being winterized properly. The single most common pump out there is our LC-3 which is a liquid cooled pump....it has two cooling lines attached to the pump head and go into the motor body...that tube is about 3' long before its bent up and wrapped around the motor. If you don't run the pump you don't get any antifreeze into that line...and water WILL dilute the antifreeze over the winter in the pump head too. So you might get lucky and not crack a tube but more then likely it will pop the freeze plugs out of the pump head and leak when it goes back into the water next year..
not sure what pump is in it but the pump is inop. Previous owner cut the wires going to the pump and I have no idea why. Its just how I found it. I connected them back up and tried to run AC while boat was in the water. the pump had power but no pumping. I just removed the pump and ran coolant through until it came out the exhaust hose on the side. I still have to get the toilet and water lines wrapped up aswell so im going back to the boat next weekend to hopefully finish it up. I am hoping the impeller is just shot in the AC pump but Ill find out later this week when I have time to pull it apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.