Notices

7.4 BBC Build

Old 08-19-2021, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

we run Rec90 for fuel, so he said with timing at 32 , everything was a go. I might be below the 10 .1 now, Ill need to ask the machine shop. I also had a set of new Flotek 119cc alum heads. but ended up using steels. A roller cam might help too. Im still running wet exhaust so to hit higher numbers I need to use better heads and cam. I think this should be a long running motor, balanced and really dont need to spin it too fast for peak power.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

The following users liked this post:
HawkX66 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a good video and it convinced me, compression ratio aside, the peanut ports suck. I’m going to try and find some better head. Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by PartyRob:
SB (08-20-2021), TomZ (08-20-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 11:20 PM
Registered

I'm trying to get this engine built, but ran into a snag with the first machine shop I used. They hot tanked the block and did a rough bore. They suggested I deck the block, but needed the pistons first. No problem, I wanted them to balance the rotating assembly anyway and was only waiting on the rods which I hadn't received yet. See, here's the deal, I've built a dozen engines and I like spec'ing the parts myself. Also, I want to verify the parts going into my engine. Anyway, I go to drop off the pistons at the shop and ask for a receipt; you would think I just called him mother something bad! He says, we don't do that and if you want to load your block fine. So, I loaded my block and left. Did he really think I was going to drop off $3,500 in parts without a receipt or anything? What if that place burned down tomorrow? I guess I would just be out $3,500? Am I crazy? Would you drop off that much in parts?

Now I just had some auto painting done and got paper work for the car, but then later dropped off a new hood for paint. Now the hood was $350, so I didn't sweat it, and there were no issues with the shop. But, $3,500 on the finger is a little rich for me. I'm sure you ballers don't sweat $3k. lol
Old 10-05-2021, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by PartyRob
I'm trying to get this engine built, but ran into a snag with the first machine shop I used. They hot tanked the block and did a rough bore. They suggested I deck the block, but needed the pistons first. No problem, I wanted them to balance the rotating assembly anyway and was only waiting on the rods which I hadn't received yet. See, here's the deal, I've built a dozen engines and I like spec'ing the parts myself. Also, I want to verify the parts going into my engine. Anyway, I go to drop off the pistons at the shop and ask for a receipt; you would think I just called him mother something bad! He says, we don't do that and if you want to load your block fine. So, I loaded my block and left. Did he really think I was going to drop off $3,500 in parts without a receipt or anything? What if that place burned down tomorrow? I guess I would just be out $3,500? Am I crazy? Would you drop off that much in parts?

Now I just had some auto painting done and got paper work for the car, but then later dropped off a new hood for paint. Now the hood was $350, so I didn't sweat it, and there were no issues with the shop. But, $3,500 on the finger is a little rich for me. I'm sure you ballers don't sweat $3k. lol
I don't think it was out of line to ask for a receipt....the fact it irked them so bad seems odd.

Just a comment. I did a Gen V 'stroker 496 several years ago. Things may have gotten better, but I had a bit of a 'tick' when we started. After a couple of dyno pulls it was clear (from the drip) that our hammer clearance of the pan was insufficient. I had to find a stroker pan and had a HARD TIME locating a stroker oil pan for a Gen V block. Tons for Gen IV. Also, specific stroker pan gaskets for Gen V. Never found those.

Motor project died in a flood. I sold my pan last year to a guy on RacingJunk that said he had a hard time finding one. Just double ck. before you order. They say "BBC Stroker Pan" but in the 'fitment' section tell you they are Gen IV only.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CDShack
I don't think it was out of line to ask for a receipt....the fact it irked them so bad seems odd.

Just a comment. I did a Gen V 'stroker 496 several years ago. Things may have gotten better, but I had a bit of a 'tick' when we started. After a couple of dyno pulls it was clear (from the drip) that our hammer clearance of the pan was insufficient. I had to find a stroker pan and had a HARD TIME locating a stroker oil pan for a Gen V block. Tons for Gen IV. Also, specific stroker pan gaskets for Gen V. Never found those.

Motor project died in a flood. I sold my pan last year to a guy on RacingJunk that said he had a hard time finding one. Just double ck. before you order. They say "BBC Stroker Pan" but in the 'fitment' section tell you they are Gen IV only.
thanks for the heads up CD Shack. I hadn’t really thought about the pan yet, but I was able to find one. The pictures look to have a pretty good clearance, i.e detents along the rails. We’ll see, but I appreciate the heads up.