So wats the budget way to 500hp for me? >

So wats the budget way to 500hp for me?

Notices

So wats the budget way to 500hp for me?

Old 11-15-2021, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I thought most used -10 to -12 for oil lines ?
That could be right too. It looked like stock lines were 1/2", If I do it again with a big cooler I will likely go with -10 or-12.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgunn
That could be right too. It looked like stock lines were 1/2", If I do it again with a big cooler I will likely go with -10 or-12.
you must have had the earlier mk4 or gen v carbed oil cooler to start with. Its 2.5 times bigger then the gen V ,gen vi mpi oil cooler which is about 2" od and 6" long. The newer, tiny stuff I'm talking about used a bunch of flared lines with tiny passages about 3/8 id I rebuilt a early carbed 502 a few years ago, it had what apoeared to be 1/2" lines and cooler about 15 or 18" long. Block bypass is important, theres been countless lost motors where a 5 or 6lb bypass was installed vs the 25/30 lb bypass and high volume oil pump will force it open allowing un filtered, uncooled oil to circulate.
The following users liked this post:
Shotgunn (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
you must have had the earlier mk4 or gen v carbed oil cooler to start with. Its 2.5 times bigger then the gen V ,gen vi mpi oil cooler which is about 2" od and 6" long. The newer, tiny stuff I'm talking about used a bunch of flared lines with tiny passages about 3/8 id I rebuilt a early carbed 502 a few years ago, it had what apoeared to be 1/2" lines and cooler about 15 or 18" long. Block bypass is important, theres been countless lost motors where a 5 or 6lb bypass was installed vs the 25/30 lb bypass and high volume oil pump will force it open allowing un filtered, uncooled oil to circulate.
Holy smokes! great information right there. I used the stock 502MPI bypass, dont know the relief pressure on it. My cooler is the bigger one. Oil temp monitor will be mandatory on next build.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Holy smokes! great information right there. I used the stock 502MPI bypass, dont know the relief pressure on it. My cooler is the bigger one. Oil temp monitor will be mandatory on next build.
.Ive never purchased a oem merc bypass but I have bought quite a few of the GM heavy duty bypass valves. Its my understanding the marine engines use the same hd one , not the standard low pressure one passenger cars/trucks use. Some guys just plug them solid, I always leave the center bypass/check valve out, its just a antidrain back valve from what I understand and its another thing that can pose a restriction in oil flow, Smitty
TomZ (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

Plug it if you get a chance.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
.Ive never purchased a oem merc bypass but I have bought quite a few of the GM heavy duty bypass valves. Its my understanding the marine engines use the same hd one , not the standard low pressure one passenger cars/trucks use. Some guys just plug them solid, I always leave the center bypass/check valve out, its just a antidrain back valve from what I understand and its another thing that can pose a restriction in oil flow, Smitty
Originally Posted by Rookie
Plug it if you get a chance.
Great info! I am on the verge of entering the twin regime, so you know now it will take twice as long to save for new builds lol.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the engine out of the boat, took the pan off and its a 2 bolt main. at least now i know wat im working with.
il go check out that Skipwhite website. thx for all the input guys!
Old 11-18-2021, 08:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 862 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
I have the engine out of the boat, took the pan off and its a 2 bolt main. at least now i know wat im working with.
il go check out that Skipwhite website. thx for all the input guys!
BlueAndWhite,

I am told that converting a 2-bolt to a 4-bolt is as easy as drilling and tapping the holes. The material is there in the block. I know I've seen kits for spayed bolt caps that allow for converting to these style caps that include drill and tap bushings that allow an industrious individual do the work with a hand drill and tap wrench. Might be worth and looking into.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Old 11-20-2021, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
BlueAndWhite,

I am told that converting a 2-bolt to a 4-bolt is as easy as drilling and tapping the holes. The material is there in the block. I know I've seen kits for spayed bolt caps that allow for converting to these style caps that include drill and tap bushings that allow an industrious individual do the work with a hand drill and tap wrench. Might be worth and looking into.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
With a goal of 500 hp , at most I would do is stud it and have it align honed
Smitty275 (11-21-2021)
Old 03-28-2022, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I wanted to thank everyone for giving me input and advice.
After I missed out on a few engines I finally found one that wasn't sold or had a deposit on it. Brought it home last night.
Not sure if I have enough post count to post pics but here are the details:
Drop in ready from carb to pan with all accessories and TMI thunder manifolds for 9k cad
its purple...
502 block, bored to 509
holley 850 double pumper
haven't open the valve covers yet but I've been told it had merlin heads and some roller cam setup.
seems to be a supped up hp500 motor
Dyno sheet shows 573 peak power and 612lbs of torq.
Its not a fresh rebuild but it had 150+ compression all over and was told roughly 250 hours

Last edited by BlueAndWhite; 03-28-2022 at 03:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueAndWhite:
hogie roll (03-29-2022), Shotgunn (03-30-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.