So wats the budget way to 500hp for me? >

So wats the budget way to 500hp for me?

Notices

So wats the budget way to 500hp for me?

Old 05-09-2022, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts

I cant praise these 02 extenders enough, short version: had a customer I built two whippled 454s for his Baja 322, he bought new lightning headers, cams shouldnt have reverted. Boat couldnt run 5 minutes on water without killing a o2 sensor tuning. After he paid for 12 02 sensors and we were getting no where, he bought two of those extenders, their directional, we shimmed them to face incoming exhaust flow, shielded o2s from moisture/water. It finally got us thru a on water tuning session.
Just for sake of knowing, I later tested them on my dyno that has 10 o2 sensors in back to back, fairly fast pulls, with and without. It did NOT alter 02 data, change it in ;least bit, Smitty
The following 3 users liked this post by articfriends:
daddio211 (05-09-2022), Gimme Fuel (05-10-2022), SB (05-09-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I cant praise these 02 extenders enough, short version: had a customer I built two whippled 454s for his Baja 322, he bought new lightning headers, cams shouldnt have reverted. Boat couldnt run 5 minutes on water without killing a o2 sensor tuning. After he paid for 12 02 sensors and we were getting no where, he bought two of those extenders, their directional, we shimmed them to face incoming exhaust flow, shielded o2s from moisture/water. It finally got us thru a on water tuning session.
Just for sake of knowing, I later tested them on my dyno that has 10 o2 sensors in back to back, fairly fast pulls, with and without. It did NOT alter 02 data, change it in ;least bit, Smitty

Thanks Smitty/Diamond Dave

R,

E
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

This is something i will be getting for sure, so i have to watch out to clock it the right direction. Im currently runing imco powerflow manifolds with a stock 454 mercruiser cam so im not to worried, but i wont mess around and find out, il buy the extender now that i know its availlable.
I went for a test drive last Saturday, engine ran well, made it to 5k rpm by mistake before hitting full throttle so il be happy to put a bigger prop.
il post full updates soon, im still busy wrenching on the thing. The drive got stuck in forward while docking on a super windy test day, i put the throttle in reverse hit it kinda hard and went foward.... almost went all the way up on the dock. wat a way to crash my maiden voyage party.

long story short,engine runs fine, need a drive and some gelcoat now

Last edited by BlueAndWhite; 05-10-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I had the same boat. 1988 scarab 28 excel. Loved it.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgunn
Lots of the parts , including the heads were used on the 509. Edelbrock rec. port marine heads, bowl work, match ported, ex and chambers polished. Comp Cams extreme marine .547"( cant remember the duration) installed straight up. Howards roller lifters, Edelbrock springs, no need to go crazy on the pressure. HP500 single plane intake from CP performance(kind of an off brand name but good quality) matched to heads. MSD marine distributor with DS box. Crane gold rockers. 12qt pan with baffles and tray. CMI headers. Holley 850 dbl pmp with all the marine upgrades. Engine sounds great in the cove. B1 24" tweaked prop. Prop works amazing with the combo, good planing and hooks well at speed Thank you BB blades!
I tuned a procharged 540 in a 272 Baja this summer for a customer he built and installed. Had all stock oil system, wasn't long after we tuned it (weeks) that he hurt bottom end doing sustained wot under boost. Nothing with tune, had low oil pressure and im sure oil was 250 plus, Smitty
Smitty, what do you like to see for sustained WOT oil temps and pressure under mild to medium boost? 4-8 PSI

...the best WOT throttle protection you can get is a GPH meter on the dash...lol.