Milky oil in intake runner Cyl#1 >

Milky oil in intake runner Cyl#1

Notices

Milky oil in intake runner Cyl#1

Old 11-22-2021, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Milky oil in intake runner Cyl#1

I have twin gen v 502 bbc with edelbrock aluminum marine heads I have a milk shake in 1 of the engines which I believe is coming from my oil coolers. But not a 100% sure. However I had high water pressure issue. However my concern is that I have milk shake in my number 1 intake runner and I assumed water maybe getting into the cyl 1 from the intake water port however I do not see any trails of water coming from water port or the intake valley, I do not understand why it is milky. The rocker stud does go into the that intake runner. Could the milk shake of the engine be leaking into the intake runner from the rocker stud? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cyl.#1 intake runner

Intake manifold runner has residue of something

And the rocker stud
Old 11-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

I would lean to head gasket or ...cracked head. Crossover leaks generally leak into the lifter galley and contaminate the entire oil system. I've heard of a head gasket leaking that head bolt and making its way up there, but BBC heads, the rocker studs are blind. It is possible to leak cooling water into the intake gasket, but the "milkshake" on top of the valve and on the rocker is weird.
Compression check #1?

Last edited by CDShack; 11-22-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:41 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Doubtful to be caused by oil coolers. Oil PSI is nearly always higher than water PSI.
Rocker studs do not go into a water jacket, so that is not it either.
Probably leaking in water from intake manifold gasket
The following users liked this post:
flashgordon (11-25-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

rocker mounting bolt is a hard no. i saw it and said ouch a blown head gasket. Then I thought why just cylinder 1 and on top? Could be just the way it’s leaking. The intake would explain it all. The intake is the least amount of work to repair. maybe head gasket or a cracked head but tough to say. Doubt it could be reversion. You could rig up a leak down test or a compression test. But you’ll still end up tearing it down.

Before tearing down, you could remove or isolate those coolers you think are leaking and pressure test them. I hate to say it but I think there’s really only 1 way to find the real problem. Start tearing it down. Hope you can and hope it’s a simple issue.

if it’s the intake you will find it fast. If you take intake off and no signs…keep going. You haven’t seen any in your drain pan or elsewhere have you?

ps please don’t run the engine. Water does not like compression, if that cylinder fills up…boom. Sure I’ve driven car engines with blown heads for months. But that was before I knew better. It’s not worth putting a connecting rod through the block.

I think what you were hoping/explaining if I’ve got it right…you hope the oil cooler has a water leak. Water contaminated the oil from the cooler. Water went directly to cyl1 only. If I understand you correctly, I don’t see how that’s possible. There would be evidence in the pan where the oil is picked up in the tube and distributed throughout the system.

Last edited by Xcomunic8d; 11-23-2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:30 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

check the valve guide and seal....and where the heads by chance cut for bigger springs? Buddy of mine had a pair of heads cut for bigger springs...machine shop nicked into the water jacket and had milkshake as well....had to pressurize the heads to find the leak.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-23-2021, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

My only thought with the intake gkt. leak is it is clean water. That differently has a high oil content. There is some crossover of oil and water somewhere. Wally might be onto something. Valve seal or guide failure?
Old 11-24-2021, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 725 Likes on 374 Posts

oil is most likely coming from this rocker arm boss,you can see the hole thats drilled and tapped thru.lack of sealant on the intake rocker studs can cause this plus oil consumption problems.
The following 3 users liked this post by sutphen 30:
flashgordon (11-25-2021), Griff (11-24-2021), sonicss42 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Registered

Default More pics

I am going to replace the oil coolers anyway because they are old and one is leaking externally however I am going to pressure test the oil coolers just so I can verify that is or is not where my milkshakes coming from,
the engines never ran bad they did not miss the only reason I knew there was a milkshake is because of the water pressure was high I wanted to check the oil to make sure the High pressure didn’t blow something. my thought was originally the high water pressure which was 35 psi either lifted the head gasket or lifted the intake gasket I removed the intake that does not appear to of happened I remove the cylinder head and I really don’t see anything other than the port for cooling was completely clogged with calcium and I’m kind of leaning towards the oil/milkshake leaking through the rocker stud on that cylinder so I pull the heads off after doing a leak down test and leak down was very good on all the cylinders less then 10% compression was 175psi
I should state that I’ve never used to run a thermostat however my plan was to go to fuel injection over the winner such as the holly sniper or the pro flow for so I put a thermostat in the engines and that’s how the water pressure became high and that’s another subject I really don’t know why other than that one cylinder head water port being clogged why I have high water pressure

Last edited by hullofjustis; 11-24-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

wow interesting,,good thing u found this before reaql issues...post the finds,,,reason..
Old 11-28-2021, 07:14 AM
Registered

Well it looks like the heads are done. I guess they could be fixed, however I would want to port them for better flow numbers and between that and fixing them I could probably buy new heads for not much more. It appears the head gasket was leaking on each end of the head. I assume that is what the black lines are. And the cylinder 7 actually has weird spot in the aluminum where you can see low spot between the cylinder and the water jacket.

The following users liked this post:
SB (11-29-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.