One-person winterize/antifreeze >

One-person winterize/antifreeze

Notices

One-person winterize/antifreeze

Old 12-13-2021, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 306 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Ive done this about a half a dozen times now. It doesn’t work on speedy lowers with front pick ups, unless you engineer something.
I have low water pickups and previous owner taped over them during the short muff/antifreeze job...I added flushers so that I don't use muffs anymore.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:33 AM
Registered

The -77 antifreeze is only $1-2 more per gallon. A no brainer imo. Boat is at LOTO FYI. Which doesn’t get extremely cold.
Really could only find non-toxic, -55F on Redneck Riviera (although West Marine could order -100F). Love St. Pete!!!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:36 AM
Registered

Id guesstimate my 5 gallon bucket is being pulled through in 30 seconds to a minute. At idle.
It looks like the garden hose handle grafted onto the bucket is the narrowest point...I may get a larger valve in the future.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Amazon Amazon

I've had a winterizing kit that I've used since 1999 or 2000. I always warmed the motor. Then drained all the water out. Then put antifreeze through it.
Years ago, I put a motorcycle shraeder valve stem on the jug, so I could pressurize the jug slightly which jambs antifreeze right into the SWP; no suction required to prime/flow.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

I’d agree on the minute at idle pending on the shape of impeller. Also years ago I just tee’d off on each side of the block drain with some 6an hose and joined with a coupler up by the t-stat housing. Made it so simple to drain the block in less than a minute. Yes then pulled the plugs on the coolers and exhaust. Just need to make sure none of the drains are blocked. This also is a good way to flush your blocks a few times during the summer especially if your in shallow water much. Cost about 30.00 an engine for a few fittings and hose.

I got nailed once on a couple of 330’s and ever since this method was just to simple for such a dumb costly mistake. Procrastination is more like it.

I did the antifreeze deal after good warm up for years with no issues whatsoever. Worked great also.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Winteri...34996878&psc=1

I've had a winterizing kit that I've used since 1999 or 2000. I always warmed the motor. Then drained all the water out. Then put antifreeze through it.
Years ago, I put a motorcycle shraeder valve stem on the jug, so I could pressurize the jug slightly which jambs antifreeze right into the SWP; no suction required to prime/flow.
Thats the same kit I got from west marine, the motor sucks faster than the vent vents, the jug and hose were collapsing. I just shut it off for a minute then restarted....
Old 12-13-2021, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Also years ago I just tee’d off on each side of the block drain with some 6an hose and joined with a coupler up by the t-stat housing. Made it so simple to drain the block in less than a minute. Yes then pulled the plugs on the coolers and exhaust. Just need to make sure none of the drains are blocked.

I did the antifreeze deal after good warm up for years with no issues whatsoever. Worked great also.
I think the "drain the system first" is my stumbling block as I keep hearing about water trapped here an there.
If I had the boat any further north (than the Gulf cost of west Florida) I'd probably have to refine/upgrade my technique.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 643 Likes on 298 Posts

I have one of those kits that holds 6 gallons of antifreeze and has the Y connection to run the engine on the hose and get it up to temp, then you switch it over and let it snarf out of the 6 gallon container. Takes less than a minute to drain it. Then I drain some of the water via the block petcocks, enough to fill it up with two gallons of Prestone pure antifreeze. I mainly run the antifreeze solution (2 gallons of Prestone to 4 gallons of West Marine -60 engine-rated (not water supply rated) to make sure the CoolFuel system is protected.
But yeah, those impellers move some water, even at idle.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

Another trick is to force feed it, but the thermostat needs to be open to hit everything. I have a bucket with a sump pump that forces antifreeze through everything. I’m closed cooled so I’m only worried about coolers. I drain my headers after they cool to protect the engines from leaks.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

Never understood why people don’t use our setup. So easy.

rubbermaid container
hose
sub pump

can run antifreeze on a loop until winterized

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.