Notices

540 BUILD Carb engine

Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I can only imagine the money he had wrapped up in these, DART big ms, good rotatings, ati super dampners, daytona boxes, BUT too low of compression, too much cam, too big of heads, Im not real fond of Dart intakes either, Smitty
I've heard that more often than not regarding dart intakes. They have proven potential however must require some more skill than others. I think years ago when several started to drift away from stock boat engines dart snatched the market. Everybody had to have one. I think they do advertise port to match etc however much more than just a head match.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Just watched an Engine Masters episode where they tested Dart, Profiler, Edelbrock and Brodix intakes on a 598 big block. They saw similar results with the Dart. The AFR’s were all over. The Brodix had the turtle and made the most power with the best AFR’s. Surprisingly it beat out the Profiler.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Just watched an Engine Masters episode where they tested Dart, Profiler, Edelbrock and Brodix intakes on a 598 big block. They saw similar results with the Dart. The AFR’s were all over. The Brodix had the turtle and made the most power with the best AFR’s. Surprisingly it beat out the Profiler.

I’ve got the Brodix and Pofiler. Was going to sell the Brodix as I replaced with the profilers. I’ll have equal amount of work to each and will dyno each back to back on my 565s. For my particular get up Valako was pretty adamant about the csa being to small with the Brodix. If power is close across the board I’ll settle for the best afr’s.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I've heard that more often than not regarding dart intakes. They have proven potential however must require some more skill than others. I think years ago when several started to drift away from stock boat engines dart snatched the market. Everybody had to have one. I think they do advertise port to match etc however much more than just a head match.
I'm also friends with your head porter, Jimmy V and I consulted on him with these customers dart intakes, he didn't have any great solutions other than what I tried, Surprisingly, I had some very nicely contoured, cncd spacers made by a good friend in Ohio that fit the unusual shape of the Dart intake plenum opening, they did NOT make as much hp as the "normal" ones and didnt helps afrs at all, but thats WHY we dyno. I have yet to find the ideal open plenum intake for a given application. Mainly what I see is TERRIBLE afrs cyl to cyl and lack of tq on small engines like 502s, 454s. When I dyno lets say a 454 and it makes 560 peak tq, 560 hp and has huge tq curve then dyno a peaky one that makes 580 hp 200 rpms higher but 30 to 70 less ft lbs of tq in 80% of power band, id take the one with more average power everywhere. Pleasure boaters who cruise, drive loaded down, etc get best results from motors that arent peaky with broad tq bands. Guys trying to break a big speed number are willing to run light on fuel, spend 10k on various props for every condition, tell their passengers to stay HOME, etc
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
JaniH (01-15-2022), smokediver (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I’ve got the Brodix and Pofiler. Was going to sell the Brodix as I replaced with the profilers. I’ll have equal amount of work to each and will dyno each back to back on my 565s. For my particular get up Valako was pretty adamant about the csa being to small with the Brodix. If power is close across the board I’ll settle for the best afr’s.
Id dyno them all BUT knowing what I know about your heads, large ports, high flow numbers Id hate to see you KILL all the gains by restricting it with a intake thats too small. BUT the dyno will tell real story, sometimes results are opposite of what we expect. This is HYPOTHETITCAL for sake of discussion, lets say you got this 450, 480 cfm port flow, ports pretty damn big to get that number, no way around it. On dyno motors lazy and doesnt perk up till top of your power band (IM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN but, your in prostock head flow territory), you bolt a intake thats Restrictive on, it makes your combination actually work better overall for some reason, ie, creates a restriction thats needed, something. Would be NICE to have those parts on hand to try, Id bring every possible intake you can to dyno and test them all. Maybe one that is ported close to your heads works best, you wont know till you dyno, Smitty
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
JaniH (01-15-2022), KWright (01-15-2022)