Notices

Power steering

Old 10-11-2022, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Power steering

Anyone have any experience with electric power steering? Kinda like the look of no belts but not sure about electric power steering pump? Helm? 38’ Cig

Old 10-15-2022, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

A lot of new vehicles have electric power steering pumps. The Toyota MR2 was one of the first.

I suspect the ram size and flow/pressure required to operate a marine hydraulic steering system would require more hp than what the elec options would support.

There is also the factor of reliability.

Electric hydraulic pumps are available, but they would likely not be the best option for sustained high output use.
​​​
The Saginaw style power steering system is a proven and reliable option.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartilla
A lot of new vehicles have electric power steering pumps. The Toyota MR2 was one of the first.

I suspect the ram size and flow/pressure required to operate a marine hydraulic steering system would require more hp than what the elec options would support.

There is also the factor of reliability.

Electric hydraulic pumps are available, but they would likely not be the best option for sustained high output use.
​​​
The Saginaw style power steering system is a proven and reliable option.
Thanks,
I have been talking to Imco. They actually have a kit for this application and say they have had great success with it. Trying to talk to a few other manufacturers before I make my mind up.