Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Trim ram parts for HP transom assembly? >

Trim ram parts for HP transom assembly?

Notices

Trim ram parts for HP transom assembly?

Old 10-23-2022, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 972 Likes on 442 Posts
Default Trim ram parts for HP transom assembly?

It looks like Merc no longer sells parts for the trim rams on newer HP transom assemblies, and only sells the complete ram. The serial number break point is 2A480243 and my transom assemblies are 2A5xxxxx.

I was getting water in the trim fluid on the Stbd side so I was going to use the full Merc overhaul kit but the end cap has been revised, and now the scraper and continuity clip are integral to the cap, and does not appear serviceable. Anyone have experience with this issue or know if I can utilize the older cap on the newer assembly? I can't see paying $650 for a new ram.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 972 Likes on 442 Posts

It appears that the cap may be available though the Merc parts catalog doesn't show it.

8M0118340

seems to be the part number. There is a chain of superceded numbers leading up to that one.

Will update thread when I have more info so that others down the road might benefit.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
It appears that the cap may be available though the Merc parts catalog doesn't show it.

8M0118340

seems to be the part number. There is a chain of superseded numbers leading up to that one.

Will update thread when I have more info so that others down the road might benefit.

Have you figured anything out on this subject? I have water in my trim pump, I can't see any leaks anywhere except for the pump overflowed into my bilge a bit. (I have the older style pump reservoir). I'm assuming that I have a leak in a ram that is sucking in water. I thought I could order the cheaper of the two rebuild kit options that didn't have hard parts and just replace seals, wipers, etc but I've been told that the end caps are the likely culprit and they are not serviceable; I can't get the internals and replace them. Does this sound correct, I have to buy the whole endcap?
Old 09-20-2023, 02:45 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks like that is the correct part

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/merc...40-end-cap-kit
Old 09-21-2023, 03:55 PM
Registered

What a bummer,

Do you think I should replace the seals inside that are included with the $30ish seal kit as well? I have water in my pump but no other issues really I'm assuming a ram is letting \ sucking water in.

Thanks Marc!
Old 09-21-2023, 04:52 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tbev
What a bummer,

Do you think I should replace the seals inside that are included with the $30ish seal kit as well? I have water in my pump but no other issues really I'm assuming a ram is letting \ sucking water in.

Thanks Marc!
Probably not a terrible idea once you have it apart but the end cap should solve the water problem.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 941 Likes on 343 Posts

if you dont replace the rest of the seals I can tell you what part will fail in the next month or so. fix it now while it is apart
The following users liked this post:
SabrToothSqrl (09-21-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Registered

That's how I typically operate but a dealer told me he just does the cap and not to worry about the internals, that's why I was asking. Thanks guys.