Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Possible solution for neverending oil temp issues, am I barking up the wrong tree? >

Possible solution for neverending oil temp issues, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Notices

Possible solution for neverending oil temp issues, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 11-04-2022, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
The 250-260 max’s where derived from good conventional oils. Good synthetics okay to 280-300 and more. I wouldn’t want at 300 or more but many professionals say no big deal.
Im more paranoid as one day towards the end of this season I sucked in some mud coming off the sandbar and started overheating at cruise. The oil temp alarm came on at 260, I shut down and the motors were dieseling and steaming. Started up and idled for awhile, the motors cooled down, did some slow cruising and the muck cleared out of the engine and everything went back to normal. But through that entire episode the oil temp gauge never went over 265 so I was really wondering about that upper limit. I suppose temps in the heads vs oil temps may be what's confusing me here, but I didnt expect that to happen when reading oil temps barely higher than normal.

Putting on aluminum heads on now so I would prefer running a little further away from the upper limit, or thats my thinking anyway.

Originally Posted by SB
Okay, so it’s not a rebuilt 500hp, therefore OE tuning specs (carb jetting and etc) are thrown out if the window. Believe it or not, have helped a handful of people tune their motors and oil temp decreased at the same time. Tuned for power and drivability, the oil temps where a nice side result. Do not set up ‘like’ factory carbs to factory jetting. If it’s not oe factory, it’s not oe factory. Most same cfm carbs do not have same fuel/air metering passages and restrictions snd boosters as each other.
Got it. Hopefully we'll get that dialed in on a warm day later this month and see how that affects oil temps.

Originally Posted by SB
So…..I’d get the tune to where you want it, get the water psi to, where you want it, and then see what you have to do to control oil temp.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fbc25el
I prefer to use a by pass cross over system because when the thermostat is closed the exhaust gets very little water. It can also cause high water pressure. I would also use a oil thermostat.
Wouldn't a non-bypass with a pressure relief valve dumping to my manifolds accomplish the same thing?
My mechanic bud is pushing towards crossover, no bypass, and no stats. KISS principle and says running cold will be fine.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:54 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by blown
Im more paranoid as one day towards the end of this season I sucked in some mud coming off the sandbar and started overheating at cruise. The oil temp alarm came on at 260, I shut down and the motors were dieseling and steaming. Started up and idled for awhile, the motors cooled down, did some slow cruising and the muck cleared out of the engine and everything went back to normal. .
Oil temp not a concern in that situation, metal warping (head and block) snd gaskets (head) blowing would be the concern….to start with. My goodness, never let am engine run that wsy again.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Oil temp not a concern in that situation, metal warping (head and block) snd gaskets (head) blowing would be the concern….to start with. My goodness, never let am engine run that wsy again.
To be fair, im pretty sure im not the only person on these boards who sucked in some mud and started overheating. Backed off and had engines shut off within 10 seconds of the buzzer going off. I wasn't going to keep running around like that lol. About the oil temps im surprised (not not understanding why) they would be reading just 5-10 degrees over normal cruising temp when the engine was obviously starting to overheat.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

You may have to put a new impeller in the sea pump. It does not take much to ruin them.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,276 Likes on 619 Posts

What's your water pressure?
Old 11-07-2022, 09:47 AM
Registered

You may have to put a new impeller in the sea pump. It does not take much to ruin them.
Agreed, but this isnt the cause of it as I've replaced them several times as regular maintenance since putting these motors in.

Originally Posted by Rookie
What's your water pressure?
I don't get accurate readings since having moved the sender to the thermostat housing awhile back. Am putting on new intake manifolds that have a rear water port so will be relocating them there. Hated having them in the bottom of the block as they were a PITA to remove for winterization and they kept fouling with debris. IIRC when they were in the block I was getting 25 psi with the stats in and around 5 with them out.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

When you use a crossover with out a by pass hose the only water to your exhaust will be from the holes in the thermostat when it is closed. This will also cause high water pressure at that point.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

This is what I run and my temps where I expect them to be. Now my oil cooler is a little small and my oil runs 280 just as it comes out of the oil pump, when running hammer down. I don't check it after the cooler so it goes back in much cooler than that. I run Amsoil 15w50 racing oil and their tech support told me that oil is good to run at 300. At the end of the season my oil is really clean and still hard to see on the dip stick. I have checked all points on the heads and engine with an IR temp gun and my temps are super close everywhere so no hot spots. I do have a Stewart 160 thermostat and I have never seen water temps over 165, even after running wide open for over 10 miles.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:57 PM
Registered

When you use a crossover with out a by pass hose the only water to your exhaust will be from the holes in the thermostat when it is closed. This will also cause high water pressure at that point.
Yes I understand. What I proposed is to either run relief lines from the rear water port of the intake to my exhaust manifolds, or to put a pressure relief valve prior to water hitting the crossover, dumping to the exhaust. Just asking in case anyone has done it before and it worked for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.