Notices

Electric pump advice

Old 11-18-2022, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Electric pump advice

Hey everybody...I have to change my mechanical fuel pump on my 502 and need advice what to order.I have a cheavy 502 with a holly 8150 carb wich has a 120 needles and seats.The engine has 180 psi compresion and a procharger m-1 set up.My boost is 6 psi so i'm lookin for some 650 hp.I'll post pictures of the pump i won't to order and a regulator so if you can advise me on that it would be great...thank you a lot
Old 11-18-2022, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Holley 712-802-1 Holley Blue Electric Marine Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing

Something like this should work fine
The following users liked this post:
techman (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
Oh thank you very much...can i ask is the regulator vacum operated...I read that my fuel pressor should be from 7 psi on idle to 12 psi on wot..am i right?
Old 11-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 120 Likes on 78 Posts

The holley regulator is not boost referenced . I don't know anything about the pump you have pictured , I run aeromotive A100 pumps and 13301 regulators , the regulator you have pictured should work.

Last edited by green lightning; 11-18-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by green lightning
The holley regulator is not boost referenced . I don't know anything about the pump you have pictured , I run aeromotive A100 pumps and 13301 regulators , the regulator you have pictured should work.
Thank you...so the holly pump can run just change regulator to boost refereced
Old 11-19-2022, 03:27 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

the fuel pump and regulator posted above looks to be a good solution if it supplies your fuel needs. Below are some vids to help understand that and help you with the tech stuff. Here’s what I used for my LS build for my boat. I also added a link to a video on electric pump with carb scenario.

I went with an exterior electric fuel pump by aem 50-1005 (I think but summits site is down again) that was a slightly oversized pump to my application. I have prefilters (before the pump and one for each tank) and a c5 regulator, filter, and return before the fuel rails.

as you have a carb scenario your adjustable fuel regulator is the way to go. I need a constant high psi for my efi engine of approx 60psi. Your carb engine should be significantly lower.

I did purchase some rubber insulators and mounts off Amazon they look to be decent for my application. I have to do some sea trials but I may end up having to put a fuel cell in place with a low pressure pump filling the cell and the high pressure pump drawing from the cell. Again sea trials will determine if I can or can’t I’ve heard both ways. I’m concerned about the load that will place on the high pressure pump without a cell. Therefore, make sure you have spares. I’ve heard of pumps failing and I intend to have one as a backup on board as well as a replacement regulator. But I do not have seatow or boat tow us here.

I have an expensive in place and if you can afford it have a second one. With my situation I’ll have a pretty good engine rebuild kit on board as well as friends on standby.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Xcomunic8d
the fuel pump and regulator posted above looks to be a good solution if it supplies your fuel needs. Below are some vids to help understand that and help you with the tech stuff. Here’s what I used for my LS build for my boat. I also added a link to a video on electric pump with carb scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O06TpVafwIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOUhOxWFPII

I went with an exterior electric fuel pump by aem 50-1005 (I think but summits site is down again) that was a slightly oversized pump to my application. I have prefilters (before the pump and one for each tank) and a c5 regulator, filter, and return before the fuel rails.

as you have a carb scenario your adjustable fuel regulator is the way to go. I need a constant high psi for my efi engine of approx 60psi. Your carb engine should be significantly lower.

I did purchase some rubber insulators and mounts off Amazon they look to be decent for my application. I have to do some sea trials but I may end up having to put a fuel cell in place with a low pressure pump filling the cell and the high pressure pump drawing from the cell. Again sea trials will determine if I can or can’t I’ve heard both ways. I’m concerned about the load that will place on the high pressure pump without a cell. Therefore, make sure you have spares. I’ve heard of pumps failing and I intend to have one as a backup on board as well as a replacement regulator. But I do not have seatow or boat tow us here.

I have an expensive in place and if you can afford it have a second one. With my situation I’ll have a pretty good engine rebuild kit on board as well as friends on standby.
Thank you for this thread,i'll look the clips you posted it will be useful to me..I gues my set up need's more gph then psi.The pump above (holly blue marine) shuld work fine with a boost referenced regulator i just have to figur aut does she have enough gph...Respect to you
Old 11-19-2022, 06:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Zole
Thank you for this thread,i'll look the clips you posted it will be useful to me..I gues my set up need's more gph then psi.The pump above (holly blue marine) shuld work fine with a boost referenced regulator i just have to figur aut does she have enough gph...Respect to you
Holley usually has a psi vs gph chart for all their pumps. Go take a look on their site for yours.

Edit in: see page 3
https://documents.holley.com/fuel_pump_tech_info.pdf

And yeh, you need a regulator that is boost referenced so that it raises fuel 1 psi for every pound boost.

So whatever your max boost is, add 7 to your fuel psi, and then see if your pump can flow more fuel in gph (or lbs/hr) at that fuel psi then you are going to use. Always have a good margin put in.

Last edited by SB; 11-19-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Holley usually has a psi vs gph chart for all their pumps. Go take a look on their site for yours.

Edit in: see page 3
https://documents.holley.com/fuel_pump_tech_info.pdf

And yeh, you need a regulator that is boost referenced so that it raises fuel 1 psi for every pound boost.

So whatever your max boost is, add 7 to your fuel psi, and then see if your pump can flow more fuel in gph (or lbs/hr) at that fuel psi then you are going to use. Always have a good margin put in.
Thank you SB for looking after me profesor...i'll look at the chart and try to figur it out..I'll try alone but if i get stuck ill ask for advice..
Old 11-19-2022, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

There's no way on God's Green Earth I'd try to run 650hp off a Holley Blue. It will NOT supply what you need for that motor. Go with an Aeromotive A-1000 and matching return style regulator. Run -10 lines from tank to pump to regulator and return. -10 or -8 to the carb. Never use the rated bare minimum for your fuel supply. I've seen too many customers bring me engines that were damaged from running lean with a Holley Blue. I've shown a lot of people that were upset with how their engine performed after it had been dynoed that their fuel system wasn't up to snuff. Got a pump and lines capable of delivering the fuel installed and was a complete different animal. DON'T SKIMP on your fuel system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.