Notices

Flame arrestor mesh

Old 02-15-2023, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 335 Likes on 158 Posts

Not to be a downer, doesn't the flame arrestor need to be Coast guard approved?
The following 2 users liked this post by xlint89:
Bondo (02-18-2023), Smitty275 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:31 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

This is what I'm using in the front of my blower scoop. Here, pick what you want. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...creen&_sacat=0

The following users liked this post:
BBYSTWY (02-16-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Why not get a K&N Coast Guard approved filter/flame arrestor? Better filtering and air flow. I got the 14"x4" flows plenty of air for my 524 at over 6000rpm.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

I was wondering if one of those would work...just wondering if I can get one in the size I would need for a dual throttle body setup...will have to do some digging on that. I just always assumed that they would be too restrictive on a 14-71 blown engine but maybe not?? Kinda discounted them before even looking honestly...thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-23-2023, 09:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I was wondering if one of those would work...just wondering if I can get one in the size I would need for a dual throttle body setup...will have to do some digging on that. I just always assumed that they would be too restrictive on a 14-71 blown engine but maybe not?? Kinda discounted them before even looking honestly...thanks for the heads up!
BBYSTWY,

If you end up going the DIY route:

I know it seems like kind of a "well, duh" thing but.... keep in mind the longer the total circumference, and the taller, the better it will breathe with a given mesh size. Gobble up all the height you can afford and make it as wide as space will allow (I'm envisioning an oval...?), and you won't have hardly any restriction at all, even with what might seem a fairly restrictive mesh.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 02-23-2023, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That was my plan..If I can't find a filter that will work I plan on doing the "standard" oval shape except longer and wider...I will have a hatch scoop when my hatch gets built so that will be my limiting factor...I plan to make it as big as possible to fit in the scoop. Only reason I am in this situation is because I want to mount the throttle bodies inline instead of side saddle mainly because it works better for my throttle cable and I like custom stuff as opposed to just buying one off the shelf and running it. That's a lot of the fun for me is making stuff instead of just buying it. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 02-23-2023, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That was my plan..If I can't find a filter that will work I plan on doing the "standard" oval shape except longer and wider...I will have a hatch scoop when my hatch gets built so that will be my limiting factor...I plan to make it as big as possible to fit in the scoop. Only reason I am in this situation is because I want to mount the throttle bodies inline instead of side saddle mainly because it works better for my throttle cable and I like custom stuff as opposed to just buying one off the shelf and running it. That's a lot of the fun for me is making stuff instead of just buying it. Thanks for the reply!!
BBYSTWY,

Yup. Owning a small machine shop, I custom make stuff all the time. Usually, it's because I can't find just EXACTLY what I want, and I love it when people ask me "Where'd you get that?"

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 02-23-2023, 09:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Exactly! Little things like my chiller pickup and water dumps I made my own instead of just buying the standard stainless stuff and I powdercoated them white to blend with the transom. People told me I was nuts but I wanted them an exact size/shape and powdercoated which nobody offered. And like you said I've been asked at the launch a few times "hey where did you get those" and just to say I made them makes it so much better!
Old 02-23-2023, 11:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Exactly! Little things like my chiller pickup and water dumps I made my own instead of just buying the standard stainless stuff and I powdercoated them white to blend with the transom. People told me I was nuts but I wanted them an exact size/shape and powdercoated which nobody offered. And like you said I've been asked at the launch a few times "hey where did you get those" and just to say I made them makes it so much better!
BBYSTWY,

I always have to laugh when people ask me “How much for one?”

I have been making my own collets for my model boat engines for quite a while, because, quite honestly, the ones we can buy are just crap. They are soft, huge and have horrible runout. So I make my own. They are a two-piece unit (as opposed to three), are made from a really high strength stainless and have absolutely ZERO runout. They are also very small, as weight and space are at a premium in our little outriggers. I’ve been asked several times “how much for one?” When I tell them “About $150”, they nearly choke on their tongue and complain “I can get one from Aeromarine for $28.” To which I just ask them, “Then, why are you asking me for one of mine….?” They usually don’t get it.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
The following users liked this post:
BBYSTWY (02-27-2023)