Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Oil line routing question??? >

Oil line routing question???

Notices

Oil line routing question???

Old 03-28-2023, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

I just finished up this very thing. I got a lot of help from this site. The thermostat has "From Source and To Source". The route I did was: from the engine (source), to the filter, from the filter to the thermostat and you will connect up to the "from source" connection point. The "to source" connection point of the thermostat goes back to the engine. The other "loop" of the thermostat is for the cooler. Should say to and from cooler on it. Pretty simple. I understand that running the flow of oil against the flow of water transfers heat better. I installed my oil temp sensor in the filter head. Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,317 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Sarcasm….

Screens in the tops fuel injectors never trap debris, nor clog. Right ?

Also ,Guess i’ll remove my water filters at sink and fridge drinking spigots and put them right where water enters the house instead.

Serious…..
why would you put the final filter (or only) before possible sources of debris ?

Noone’s ever got debris in a Holley needle and seat or jet that could have been caught by an inlet screen in the bowl inlets ? I have in mine and others. 50 times ? How about injectors ? 100 or more injectors ?Even Merc 496 famous for this…

Round table talk on filter location. OP brought subject up. I’m Just pushing my opinion. Not jumping up and down about the other way. I don’t make peeps change it on the boats i work on, or tie up to, or ……

Last edited by SB; 03-29-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 4,916 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Everyone thinks filtering cool oil is a bad thing but the only way I see to not filter cool oil would be the 1st pic.
So the oil in your oil pan isn`t hot?
2 and 3 come straight out of the pan.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m referring to the temp of the oil at initial engine startup. Unless you use the Tstat to bypass the oil filter wouldn’t that be filtering cold oil?
Old 03-29-2023, 09:12 AM
Registered

You messing with me?
Yes , at cold start up oil will be cold.
There is no stat that bypasses the oil filter.
The thermostats job is to redirect oil to cooler when the temp gets to a certain temperature, has nothing to do with oil filter.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 09:18 AM
Registered

First line near head goes from engine straight to oil filter, if the oil is cold it goes back into engine.
When the temp gets to 180* (in my case) the thermostat opens and it goes thru the cooler before it hits engine,
At no point is the filter ever bypassed by the thermostat.

The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
87MirageIntruder (03-29-2023), j272 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You messing with me?
Yes , at cold start up oil will be cold.
There is no stat that bypasses the oil filter.
The thermostats job is to redirect oil to cooler when the temp gets to a certain temperature, has nothing to do with oil filter.
That is one beautiful piece of hardware. Nice and compact set up on your oil lines.

lol. No man, not messing with you. I guess I’m wondering why some question filtering cold oil vs. hot oil. The way my first pic is plumbed 90% of the oil at start up would bypass the oil filter. As the engine oil heated up, more would flow through the filter. When the Tstat is fully open then majority of it would be filtered. My Tstat is fully open at 212. Goes thru the cooler and comes out approx. 50* cooler. But I certainly wouldn’t call that cold oil. Slightly cooler yes. I honestly thought folks were talking about cold start up oil.

Which is why I initially asked the question.

So I believe you said filter right after the oil comes out of the block and I think that is how I will plumb it. Pic #3

‘Thanks everyone who chimed in. I am a relative newbie to most of this stuff.

The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (04-03-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by tgorbett
That is one beautiful piece of hardware. Nice and compact set up on your oil lines.

lol. No man, not messing with you. I guess I’m wondering why some question filtering cold oil vs. hot oil. The way my first pic is plumbed 90% of the oil at start up would bypass the oil filter. As the engine oil heated up, more would flow through the filter. When the Tstat is fully open then majority of it would be filtered. My Tstat is fully open at 212. Goes thru the cooler and comes out approx. 50* cooler. But I certainly wouldn’t call that cold oil. Slightly cooler yes. I honestly thought folks were talking about cold start up oil.

Which is why I initially asked the question.

So I believe you said filter right after the oil comes out of the block and I think that is how I will plumb it. Pic #3

‘Thanks everyone who chimed in. I am a relative newbie to most of this stuff.
Well, no matter where the filter is, it's going to get cold oil on start up if it's plumbed right. It doesn't stay cool long. And your not, or shouldn't be, stringing out your engine right upon start up. (Unless your top fuel racing.) As long as the thermostat works right, the cooler won't always be getting 100% of the oil after the engine is warmed up. But by putting hot oil thru the filter there is less pressure drop thru the filter.
If your worried about debris from anything after the filter you could put in a higher mesh, less restrictive filter before the oil returns to the block.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Well, no matter where the filter is, it's going to get cold oil on start up if it's plumbed right. It doesn't stay cool long. And your not, or shouldn't be, stringing out your engine right upon start up. (Unless your top fuel racing.) As long as the thermostat works right, the cooler won't always be getting 100% of the oil after the engine is warmed up. But by putting hot oil thru the filter there is less pressure drop thru the filter.
If your worried about debris from anything after the filter you could put in a higher mesh, less restrictive filter before the oil returns to the block.
Smitty,

Thats funny. I was thinking the same thing after weighing the options. A two filter system might be the best protection. Something to consider. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.