Power steering combining valve trouble >

Power steering combining valve trouble

Notices

Power steering combining valve trouble

Old 04-23-2023, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Power steering combining valve trouble

I installed this combining valve (PT-13 on the drawing) which allows the power steering to operate from either engine or both at the same time. Today was the first time I was able to start an engine (port) and when I did, power steering fluid came out of the fill cap of the pump on the non running engine (starboard). I did not get a chance to see if the same thing happened if I started that (starboard) engine plus it made quite a mess and I didn't want to repeat. I have a feeling that I may have plumbed the valve incorrectly. I looked at this illustration and decided that the high pressure lines from the pumps should be in line with the filter (large silver canister) on the valve which in my installation would be the top 2 ports. The bottom ports I have as the return lines to the coolers. As you are looking at my install, the upper and lower on the right go to the port engine. FYI, the port pump is now empty and the starboard is very full. I did not turn the wheel so I don't know if the "power" steering was working or not. It could be there is a problem with one or both of the pumps? The pumps are original to the boat (1995) and sat empty for the last 2 years. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-23-2023, 04:02 PM
Registered

Is there a chance that I can't run the stock pumps and have to swap over to the single oil tank and new pumps? I hope this is not the case.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi pq, you need one reservoir that feeds both pumps and accepts return from both coolers. You probably have it plumbed correctly. I submitted a "Teague on tech" question on this subject which was answered by Bob. I bought his stainless reservoir too that makes it work. Mounts in same spot with a little mod. Mine is on stb motor port side to make plumbing more centrized. Plumbing to pumps and coolers need to be changed to work with new reservoir. Todd

Old 04-23-2023, 04:43 PM
Registered

Hi pq, a link to the article. It's in April 2020 speedboat mag.

https://teaguecustommarine.com/teagu...20/#more-17143

Todd 989-289-9240

Last edited by Todd B.; 04-24-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:10 PM
Registered

Hi pq, sounding like you have the saginaw style. Here is link to imco cap discussed in article:
https://teaguecustommarine.com/bille...reservoir-tank
Todd
Old 04-23-2023, 05:17 PM
Registered

Hey Todd, Thanks for the link. I looked at the article and I BELIEVE it says I can keep my pumps? I just have to buy the sealed caps with NPT outlet and those go to a single remote tank? I think these are the caps but which tank? I found one that has 2 inlets. He has many tanks listed but not much info for each tank. Thanks again for your help. Rob

Old 04-23-2023, 08:30 PM
Registered

Yes you can keep the aaginaw style using the sealed caps. Since you don't need a large reservoir- have two on pumps- a small one will work.

this one has two fittings, one .25" one .5" I believe. Can be plumbed to work with the cap setup. I can check tomorrow. Todd
Old 04-24-2023, 07:58 AM
Registered

Reservoir has 3/8" and 5/8" outlet.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

I have one of those caps if that's the route you are going...won't be needing it on my new setup.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:55 PM
Registered

This is the plumbing diagram that represents your setup best. Your valve might be plumbed backwards. This diagram showing supply(pump output) at bottom, and returns closest to helm output. Check it out and see what you think. Todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.