Old 04-09-2024, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 32 Posts

The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I was on the phone a week ago with my dad who lives in Ft Myers. He was watching a boat get launched with a crane and told me the customer spent 3500 for the crane. Which caught my attention because I purchased a boat in Port Huron last year at a small marina... They launched it by crane along with 27 other boats all the same day. I asked at the picnic later that day how much the crane cost. For all the boats and roughly 8 hours it was 5,000. It's got to be a supply demand issue with people with money basically willing to pay anything and after that happens a couple times... Now it basically changes the labor rates.
tommymonza (04-15-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:20 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I trailered my 42' Harley (same as Swamps above) to the San Juan islands every year for over ten years, up until Covid reared it's ugly head.

Crane cost was around 175.00 dollars for round trip. Price also included two weeks parking for truck and trailer.

I had better make a call to find out what post covid prices are before I make the next trip North!
SB (04-14-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 801 Likes on 369 Posts

Probably appropriate for this post.

Saw this on FBMarketplace (the world’s most compelling mistress) for 1500 bucks last Saturday. My wife was baffled when I jumped up and said “I’ll be back in two hours” and ran out the door.

22’ Wellcraft with trailer and a 175 Merc Black Max. Someone had vandalized the plug wires, but that was easily resolved. Spent this week doing the basics, fuel pump, stats, water pump, drive lube, filters, etc……

fired up tonight.

funny that I’ve bought this boat, trailer and motor for less than a tank of gas in Cig. There are good boating deals, you just have to be lucky…..

Attached Thumbnails Boating on budget - no such thing anymore-img_4524.jpeg  
The following 7 users liked this post by seafordguy:
hogie roll (04-13-2024), jeff32 (04-12-2024), Padraig (04-15-2024), RSCHAP1 (04-15-2024), SB (04-14-2024), the deep (04-15-2024), TomZ (04-15-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Probably appropriate for this post.

Saw this on FBMarketplace (the world’s most compelling mistress) for 1500 bucks last Saturday. My wife was baffled when I jumped up and said “I’ll be back in two hours” and ran out the door.

22’ Wellcraft with trailer and a 175 Merc Black Max. Someone had vandalized the plug wires, but that was easily resolved. Spent this week doing the basics, fuel pump, stats, water pump, drive lube, filters, etc……

fired up tonight.

funny that I’ve bought this boat, trailer and motor for less than a tank of gas in Cig. There are good boating deals, you just have to be lucky…..
...and fast, apparently.

Great find.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Working slob over here too. I'm a union diesel mechanic by day and boat, trailer and classic car repair by night. I currently live in the suburbs of Chicago. I keep my boat slipped in Hammond Indiana because it's half the price of Chicago and they let me have a lift, gotta go where my wallet takes me. Not to mention no criminal activity like Chicago marinas...
As for the prices, everything has gone absolutely insane! The same merc HP transom assemblies I bought 3 years ago for $2700 each are now $4000. Dont even get me started on the cost to buy engine parts now...
Last year I purchased a 377 Scarab with twin 540 blower engines and speedmasters, everything I've doing to the boat is $10k a crack. Fixing a wounded engine, swapping cams in both engines, fixing carbs, $10k. Bigger blowers, $10k. Bigger drives, $10k. Fix all the sh*t rigging, $10k Etc. Etc. Part of me wishes I just stayed with my 29ft Formula with twin small blocks and bravos, which i still have. If I had a family to support I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT have bought my 38. These Big boats with big power burn through a budget 10 times faster than a small boat with small power.
As for Florida, good luck. Friend of mine sold his 38ft Formula because anything over 30ft they stick it in and break it off in you. Rack storage was $900 a month at the cheapest marina. Nothing but crooks down there and overpriced, sh*t labor. Another friend of mine moved from Chicago and started a marine diesel repair service out of Tampa and is buried in work because he actually shows up, works and isn't a thief!
Its tougher now than it ever has been trying to stay in the boating game with the cost of everything now. Im seeing similar cost trends in other activities like snowmobiling, off-roading, drag racing, etc. Everything is becoming a rich man's game and we're being priced out of enjoying things we've enjoyed for years. Somethings gotta give. End rant...
The following 5 users liked this post by Franks292:
Drewm3i (04-30-2024), jeff32 (04-15-2024), Tartilla (04-15-2024), the deep (04-15-2024), TomZ (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks292
Working slob over here too. I'm a union diesel mechanic by day and boat, trailer and classic car repair by night. I currently live in the suburbs of Chicago. I keep my boat slipped in Hammond Indiana because it's half the price of Chicago and they let me have a lift, gotta go where my wallet takes me. Not to mention no criminal activity like Chicago marinas...
As for the prices, everything has gone absolutely insane! The same merc HP transom assemblies I bought 3 years ago for $2700 each are now $4000. Dont even get me started on the cost to buy engine parts now...
Last year I purchased a 377 Scarab with twin 540 blower engines and speedmasters, everything I've doing to the boat is $10k a crack. Fixing a wounded engine, swapping cams in both engines, fixing carbs, $10k. Bigger blowers, $10k. Bigger drives, $10k. Fix all the sh*t rigging, $10k Etc. Etc. Part of me wishes I just stayed with my 29ft Formula with twin small blocks and bravos, which i still have. If I had a family to support I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT have bought my 38. These Big boats with big power burn through a budget 10 times faster than a small boat with small power.
As for Florida, good luck. Friend of mine sold his 38ft Formula because anything over 30ft they stick it in and break it off in you. Rack storage was $900 a month at the cheapest marina. Nothing but crooks down there and overpriced, sh*t labor. Another friend of mine moved from Chicago and started a marine diesel repair service out of Tampa and is buried in work because he actually shows up, works and isn't a thief!
Its tougher now than it ever has been trying to stay in the boating game with the cost of everything now. Im seeing similar cost trends in other activities like snowmobiling, off-roading, drag racing, etc. Everything is becoming a rich man's game and we're being priced out of enjoying things we've enjoyed for years. Somethings gotta give. End rant...
post a picture of your 38 please! Love those models!
Franks292 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
post a picture of your 38 please! Love those models!

The following 4 users liked this post by Franks292:
87MirageIntruder (05-09-2024), SecondWind (04-15-2024), the deep (04-15-2024), TomZ (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 636 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by im MartinB
I was on the phone a week ago with my dad who lives in Ft Myers. He was watching a boat get launched with a crane and told me the customer spent 3500 for the crane. Which caught my attention because I purchased a boat in Port Huron last year at a small marina... They launched it by crane along with 27 other boats all the same day. I asked at the picnic later that day how much the crane cost. For all the boats and roughly 8 hours it was 5,000. It's got to be a supply demand issue with people with money basically willing to pay anything and after that happens a couple times... Now it basically changes the labor rates.
This past hurricane my buddies uninsured sailboat went up on the mangroves in front of Salty Sams and was only 10 feet from what had been his slip .

Crane on the barge was there pulling up sunk boats and old docks and wouldn’t even have to move , I asked them how much to crane it back into the water. $17000 was the best they would do. So they moved it on the states dime and crushed it.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
This past hurricane my buddies uninsured sailboat went up on the mangroves in front of Salty Sams and was only 10 feet from what had been his slip .

Crane on the barge was there pulling up sunk boats and old docks and wouldn’t even have to move , I asked them how much to crane it back into the water. $17000 was the best they would do. So they moved it on the states dime and crushed it.
Thats just absurd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.