Boating on budget - no such thing anymore >

Boating on budget - no such thing anymore

Notices

Boating on budget - no such thing anymore

Old 04-15-2024, 11:23 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 438 Likes on 171 Posts
Default I agree completely. Retired fixed income here.

Originally Posted by Franks292
Working slob over here too. I'm a union diesel mechanic by day and boat, trailer and classic car repair by night. I currently live in the suburbs of Chicago. I keep my boat slipped in Hammond Indiana because it's half the price of Chicago and they let me have a lift, gotta go where my wallet takes me. Not to mention no criminal activity like Chicago marinas...
As for the prices, everything has gone absolutely insane! The same merc HP transom assemblies I bought 3 years ago for $2700 each are now $4000. Dont even get me started on the cost to buy engine parts now...
Last year I purchased a 377 Scarab with twin 540 blower engines and speedmasters, everything I've doing to the boat is $10k a crack. Fixing a wounded engine, swapping cams in both engines, fixing carbs, $10k. Bigger blowers, $10k. Bigger drives, $10k. Fix all the sh*t rigging, $10k Etc. Etc. Part of me wishes I just stayed with my 29ft Formula with twin small blocks and bravos, which i still have. If I had a family to support I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT have bought my 38. These Big boats with big power burn through a budget 10 times faster than a small boat with small power.
As for Florida, good luck. Friend of mine sold his 38ft Formula because anything over 30ft they stick it in and break it off in you. Rack storage was $900 a month at the cheapest marina. Nothing but crooks down there and overpriced, sh*t labor. Another friend of mine moved from Chicago and started a marine diesel repair service out of Tampa and is buried in work because he actually shows up, works and isn't a thief!
Its tougher now than it ever has been trying to stay in the boating game with the cost of everything now. Im seeing similar cost trends in other activities like snowmobiling, off-roading, drag racing, etc. Everything is becoming a rich man's game and we're being priced out of enjoying things we've enjoyed for years. Somethings gotta give. End rant...
Good place to post this again. Labor of love yes......being hosed on prices and shipping, yes that too.

Last edited by the deep; 04-15-2024 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by the deep:
Drewm3i (05-09-2024), Franks292 (04-15-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Good place to post this again. Labor of love yes......being hosed on prices and shipping, yes that too.
So true
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (05-09-2024)