Notices

Arch removal from Sonic

Old 06-16-2023, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arch removal from Sonic

Hey guys, working on taking the arch off my 28 Sonic and its proving to be a difficult task. Ive got all the bolts unbolted, but cant seem to break the bond of the adhesive between the gunnel and the arch.

I had the marina hook it up to one of their forklifts and the arch was bending more than it was moving from the adhesive.

What did you guys use to break that bond in order to get the arch off?

Thanks,
Old 06-16-2023, 12:40 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 563 Posts

thats crazy! but ive had good luck taking some un-waxed floss and doubling or tripping it up and sawing my way back and forth through the silicone and under the part.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-16-2023, 12:46 PM
Registered

Thats not a bad idea, i will definitely give that a try along with some marina formula debonder
Old 06-18-2023, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
thats crazy! but ive had good luck taking some un-waxed floss and doubling or tripping it up and sawing my way back and forth through the silicone and under the part.
I bought a gizmo from home depot a while back for cutting PCV pipe in tight situations. It's basically a thin steel cable with a handle on each end. Sounds like it would work great but may scratch gelcoat. They sell a similar gizmo to cut through sealant around automotive windshields.
The following users liked this post:
Wally (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 07:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I bought a gizmo from home depot a while back for cutting PCV pipe in tight situations. It's basically a thin steel cable with a handle on each end. Sounds like it would work great but may scratch gelcoat. They sell a similar gizmo to cut through sealant around automotive windshields.
Thats the idea...im just cheap when it comes to doing it one time! LOL if i was doing that kind of work more often i would probably invest in something more robust

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following users liked this post:
zz28zz (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Sonic arches were installed with 5200. The final sealing was done with a layer of white silicone to avoid yellowing, which 5200 is known to do.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 59 Posts

It’s been many years since I took the arch of my 33’ but all I can suggest is take your time. You will have to cut the silicone/5200 with all sorts of very thin sharp tools. Make a cutter out of a putty knife will work. Do not, do not get cocky when you think you have it partially free and pry up the rest of the way. You will destroy the fiberglass under the arch. Once off you will have the holes to address. I made step plates to put over them. Good luck and post some pics.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Registered

I was able to remove the arch cleanly, with absolutely no damage to the fiberglass on the gunnel or the arch!!

For anyone in the future doing this, the easiest way I was able to do this was to heat the blade of a paint scrapper and use it to cut the adhesive...SUPER IMPORTANT to not heat the blade too much or it could melt your fiberglass.

Also used some Marine Formula Adhesive debonder, it helped a bit but not as much as the heated blade.

Pics will be uploaded once I get the holes addressed!
The following 3 users liked this post by Trs5405:
Helmwurst (06-20-2023), sonicss42 (06-20-2023), zz28zz (06-20-2023)