Notices

Testing the steering

Old 07-22-2023, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Testing the steering

Hi, my 1990 Larson senza spectre wanders at slow speeds, lists to port at high speeds but floats perfect. So, I’d like to learn more about diagnosis and checking my steering as I think that loose steering could possibly it and if not, then I just learned about the steering which isn’t all so bad. I don’t think anything was ever changed or replaced on this boat and so I have the privilege of fixing the things that have been going the past few years. I will be adding steering fluid but it’s important to note that my steering fluid is a decent amount below the fill line.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 330 Likes on 154 Posts

All boats wonder at idle speeds.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by liberator221
All boats wonder at idle speeds.
I need help checking the steering… I’m familiar with boats I’m just not a mechanic.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Prestigeworldwideee
I need help checking the steering… I’m familiar with boats I’m just not a mechanic.
Ayuh,..... It's best done with 2 helpers, one at the steering wheel, 'n the other at the drive,.....

While one is holding the drive steady, the other shakes the wheel, while you inspect all the steering connection points,.....
Then the wheel is held firm, while the drive is shaken, while you check the connections again,....

What yer 1st post describes is known as V-hull wander,..... They all do it,....

As for the lay-over on plane, recheck the weight balance, or try a different prop,.....
Old 07-23-2023, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bondo
Ayuh,..... It's best done with 2 helpers, one at the steering wheel, 'n the other at the drive,.....

While one is holding the drive steady, the other shakes the wheel, while you inspect all the steering connection points,.....
Then the wheel is held firm, while the drive is shaken, while you check the connections again,....

What yer 1st post describes is known as V-hull wander,..... They all do it,....

As for the lay-over on plane, recheck the weight balance, or try a different prop,.....
Okay so I haven’t done any of that but I found what I was looking for. I was able to wiggle the outdrive 2 1/4” measuring from the back of the outdrive before the steering linkage was even engaged….. that’s my problem. The outdrive will move side to side, it chooses the port side because of the prop torque. So something is loose or more likely worn out in that area… is it the gimbal bearing? Should I try tightening something? Need help from here.

Last edited by Prestigeworldwideee; 07-23-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:35 AM
Registered

Sounds like steering arm/tiller arm is loose on steering pin. The u-bolt that sticks through top just above outdrive needs checked periodically
Old 07-23-2023, 11:42 AM
Registered

Sounds like steering arm/tiller arm is loose on steering pin. The u-bolt that sticks through top just above outdrive needs checked periodically

Those 2 nuts?

Last edited by Prestigeworldwideee; 07-23-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:32 PM
Registered

yes that is the u=bolt. I don't remember spec off hand but someone on here will
Old 07-23-2023, 01:51 PM
Registered

yes that is the u=bolt. I don't remember spec off hand but someone on here will
Set the breaker bar to 55lbs… stripped one of the bolts but it didn’t help being tightened. So now I have another problem.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Registered

Link that shows the play in the outdrive I’m talking about (before steering linkage is engaged).

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/I5Jk***PA3E

This site is so faulty I had to post the link

Last edited by Prestigeworldwideee; 07-23-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.