Raw Water Pump hose fell off

Notices

Raw Water Pump hose fell off

Old 07-24-2023, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Raw Water Pump hose fell off

Hey guys!

Yesterday started out great until I started to see some steam and noticed temp started getting a bit hot. Engine temp was up to ~225 (Holley sniper stated 180, though?)
​​​​​​
Smelled something weird and opened engine hatch, noticed my compartment was full of water! Didn't know where it was coming from until after a tow back to the launch. Engined stalled (thankfully) because it ended up being the hose from the pump to the engine

Motor obviously got very hot, exhaust with no water in it burned right through the trident marine silicone wet exhaust. Engine ran just fine back on the hose, no visible signs of damage or anything else in the oil, but will change just to be safe

My question is: what are you guys using to clamp these hoses on? I am using Shieldsflex 1-1/4" water hose with a standard hose clamp. Maybe I didn't tighten enough? Should I double up? Switch to a different clamp style like a t-clamp? Stock 525 pump without fuel pump boss, vbelt driven, new impeller

Old 07-24-2023, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,159 Likes on 1,405 Posts

I always double up on my strainers and pumps, but Ive never seen a single clamp come off...........you've got some burnt melted wires also
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:36 PM
Registered

I am going to triple up after this incident! I was pulling some wires down to see the extent of the damage, it looks isolated to the blower motor and trim pump - all work but will be trimming the melted areas. I have a pressure release valve at 22-23psi so I am wondering if that was faulty to cause enough pressure to blow this hose off, or maybe the clamp failed and loosened, still unsure exactly what went wrong
Old 07-24-2023, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 444 Likes on 216 Posts

Single clamp like you have should work fine. Maybe it wasn't tightened up when you had it off/on last? Did the clamp break?
The following users liked this post:
Bondo (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I am paranoid about hoses coming off, I use T bolts, two if there is room and a little smear of "right stuff" on the fitting to make life miserable when it comes time to remove it. I also have ball valves at the transom and on the inlet side of the strainers.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Had this happen to me many years ago..... cast iron risers had plugged and water pressure buildup forced the hose off.
Would not hurt to check downstream for possible obstruction
Old 07-24-2023, 01:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,858 Likes on 932 Posts

The only time I've had this happen it was my own fault and right after a seapump kit install. I can barely see the connection hose it is 90% by feel. I didn't get the clamp and hose far enough onto the nipple.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by resurrected
I am paranoid about hoses coming off, I use T bolts, two if there is room and a little smear of "right stuff" on the fitting to make life miserable when it comes time to remove it. I also have ball valves at the transom and on the inlet side of the strainers.
Good call on the rite stuff, I have a tube of that ready to go, will use that next time I clamp this on!

Originally Posted by SammyJ
Had this happen to me many years ago..... cast iron risers had plugged and water pressure buildup forced the hose off.
Would not hurt to check downstream for possible obstruction
Going to check all the other hoses to make sure this wasnt the case - water was flowing through but maybe it was restricted at some point, like any lake there is a lot of crap on the surface and the transom pickup doesnt help

Originally Posted by Griff
The only time I've had this happen it was my own fault and right after a seapump kit install. I can barely see the connection hose it is 90% by feel. I didn't get the clamp and hose far enough onto the nipple.
glad to know im not the only one this happened to. Certainly was scary to open the hatch and see half my engine under water
Old 07-24-2023, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 444 Likes on 216 Posts

At least you know your pump impeller is in good shape!
Old 07-24-2023, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Probably overlooked and not tight enough.
But be sure it's a good clamp if you replaced it.
See the way the screw housing in the picture interlocks with the band?
I've had the cheap ones at Autozone and such that aren't made that way. They are pure shiit!
The tighter you go the more that screw housing just spreads because it isn't interlocked, they're just bent over the band.
Good clamps are surprisingly cheap in boxes of 5 and 10 at Mcmaster Carr BTW if anyone isn't aware.

The following 3 users liked this post by cheech:
1983ScarabIII (07-24-2023), CheckmateScarab (07-24-2023), Shah Mat (07-25-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.