Imco/Mayfair ad-steering installation project

Notices

Imco/Mayfair ad-steering installation project

Old 11-25-2023, 02:31 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Imco/Mayfair ad-steering installation project

Hello

I want to install Mayfair or Imco ad-steering on my Baja Outlaw 24 motorized with a blue 500 EFI and Bravo One.

Which version to choose,
from Imco 6.87 or 11.25 from Mayfair 9 or 17-3/4"

Avantages and disadvantages ??

Steering angle preserved ???? Important

Thank you in advance for your experience.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 267 Posts

Call IMCO direct and talk to a tech support person. They helped me on my build and install. It fits and functions perfectly.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Call IMCO direct and talk to a tech support person. They helped me on my build and install. It fits and functions perfectly.
This right here. Same with me. IMCO was very helpful. Talk to Charles (I think that's his name, but I can't remember for sure. It's been a while.). He generally answers the phone anyway. I put the 11.25 setup on mine. I used the single ram as suggested by IMCO.

Are you doing cable add-on hydraulic assist or going full hydraulic? If you are going add-on hydraulic assist, I suggest you put a new steering cable in at the same time, unless you have changed the cable recently. No reason other than it will make it smoother for you. Depending on which way you go, I would just go ahead and bite the bullet and go full hydraulic. It's not that much more expensive to go full over add-on assist. New hydraulic helm and 4 hoses is all you need to add to the real expensive rear end stuff. So, it's not that big a jump. I searched around for a used add-on assist setup and saved some $$$'s. I did it that way and decided later to go ahead and go full hydraulic last winter. If you do decide on IMCO, remember to ask them if cash is still king there. It was when I did it and was well worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Imco site has some good documentation in regards to bracket placement, cyl lengths, etc.

https://www.imcomarine.com/nvcatalog/imco_catalog.pdf

Old 11-27-2023, 12:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Use the longest rams with the most travel that you can mount properly. It will help when docking.
Your drive will only move about half as far as it does now if you add hyd steering.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Like Griff said, choose the longest rams. I have one season now with full hydraulic, 9.25" stroke rams, and could not be happier. If you are Diy type of guy, the full system aint that expensive. Look at ebay for tractor steering orbitrols and columns, thats what i used for mine, 150$ for both, NEW.