Notices

350 SBC updates?

Old 03-25-2024, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks 94, Thats about where I'm at right now, just stop looking around and pull both motors and go through them with a good solid 90 octane build (what ever that means). Last V8 I did was in 1980...
A couple of crate 383's with 350 - 375 hp would bolt right in and give me two cores to work with for the other rides. Not to mention the space in the shop and time factor. I've already got 3 motors on stands right now waiting for me to free up some time.
I'll see if I can take some measurements on bore, stroke, dish height this week. Welcome to boating!
H
Old 05-20-2024, 12:36 PM
Registered

Default SBC teardown

Got port motor pulled the other day and found scoring in #4 cylinder and rod bearing. Measuring bores to see if we can hone things out or do a bore job. Block is already +.030.

Analyzing damage.....

#4 is scored, I'm assuming from the cam lobe material. Will pull it the rest of the way down and measure bores and see what we do next.

Heads rebuilt!
Sent both sets of heads out for rebuild. Builder said it looked like the valves were set too tight. Found one head cracked that one was replaced and surfaced to match the other pair.

Old 05-20-2024, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hmc710
Got port motor pulled the other day and found scoring in #4 cylinder and rod bearing. Measuring bores to see if we can hone things out or do a bore job. Block is already +.030.

Analyzing damage.....

#4 is scored, I'm assuming from the cam lobe material. Will pull it the rest of the way down and measure bores and see what we do next.

Heads rebuilt!
Sent both sets of heads out for rebuild. Builder said it looked like the valves were set too tight. Found one head cracked that one was replaced and surfaced to match the other pair.
Looks like head gasket was giving up between #4 & 6 as well.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:02 PM
Registered

Yep, both motors showed signs of it....... As the exhaust cam lobe wore down, all the pressure had to go somewhere......
Old 06-13-2024, 07:56 PM
Registered

Default Going back together

Got the heads back on starboard motor and should get intake and the rest this week. Port motor was stripped, cleaned, new cam, lifter, pushrods, bearings, and will get it back together after the other motor is done. With the new to me Phantom in the shop, its hard to concentrate on the old Webbcraft. I'll probably put it up for sale as soon as the motors go in and run through the break in.