Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Need trim limit testing help please. >

Need trim limit testing help please.

Notices

Need trim limit testing help please.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need trim limit testing help please.

Hello, I installed a new Livorsi Trim gauge. It's a standard gauge and it calibrated nicely with the starboard sender. The old one worked but was horribly faded. Different story for the 3 wire cheap digital limit switch (port) that has never limited the trim at all. The Bravo 1 drive trims all the way up and down no matter how I set it after lining up gear with hash mark. I even had somebody hold trim button up and down several times while I spin the gear full turns with no limiting activity as if it wasn't even there. The Chinese units guts are not even accessible. All wiring is in good shape and connected properly in the bay. Is there a multimeter test I can do (ohm?) from the wires in the bay to get a reading while spinning the gear on the unit to test before I cut the wires at the drive and install a new limit switch with fresh submersible wire connections? What reading should I look for? Thank you for any steps I can take to ck this limit switch. I'd like to get my 21 3/4" throws dialed in on my 496 Mag / 2006 Bravo 1 / Baja 23. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

The trim limit switch is just an on/off switch. It's only function is to cut power when the switch is tripped.

When the drive is down, it should show 0 ohms, and when up, it should break the connection and show open. If the switch shows that it's breaking the connection, then you probably have an issue at the pump or handle wiring.
The following users liked this post:
Nucc100 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

What Tom said.

Also, you should be able to hear a very slight click coming from your trim pump when the limit switch is working properly. Make sure it's quiet and spin the center gear of the limit switch slowly, it took me a few tries but I could hear it click. It's not very loud. Then you know it's working and just needs the proper adjustment.
Nucc100 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 08:50 PM
Registered

Thank you. I'm not hearing anything and there is not a change in the ohm's test. I'm trying to find the replacement digital trim "limit" three wire (port) switch without any luck. I can find the newer single digital trim sender and limit combined switch that seems to go on port side with a dummy cover on the sender side but that's not what I'm after. Can I not just put a dual wire analog trim limit switch on the port side or will that send off codes without it having a data wire? I would like to find a same replacement for the digital three wire trim port side limit switch if possible. Any links and info would be greatly appreciated to get away with just replacing this limit switch. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haven't used a limiting switch in years personally. Once it trims too high, rpm climbs and you scrub speed. If it's that much trouble to find a working one, maybe just ignore it and try not to trim higher than needed?
Nucc100 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 08:42 AM
Registered

The following 2 users liked this post by 87MirageIntruder:
Nucc100 (03-20-2024), TomZ (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Haven't used a limiting switch in years personally. Once it trims too high, rpm climbs and you scrub speed. If it's that much trouble to find a working one, maybe just ignore it and try not to trim higher than needed?
Probably what I should do. Never used a limiter before in all my years of boating and understand the trim process completely. Just got mentally stuck in getting everything working properly. It really isn't necessary.
TomZ (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
Why the hell does everything cause cancer these days??
Old 03-21-2024, 08:55 AM
Registered

Tom that's just in California (see ca.gov on sticker). I'm in Oregon so it's fine where I live.

That being said, if I did live in California I'd have died of cancer by now.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:26 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Why the hell does everything cause cancer these days??
My Wife deals with these stupid regulations daily....this is the one you KNOW about...if you are in the corporate world its getting crazy!
You have Cali's Prop65, (their "right to know" law) you should have seen all the calls i got asking what this was when we first rolled out those stickers on the boxes!
There's Mains PFAS law and other states are jumping onboard now too.
There's Chinese slave labor..but how do you verify it if the Chinese cant answer it legally in their country!?
You have 3TG conflict minerals (Tin , Tantalum Tungsten and Gold)
Sanctions on Russia (have to make sure that your suppliers are not getting any product from any company or person on the list)
You have to know where your suppliers are getting their steel from...all the way down to the smelter!
REACH and ROHS compliance
CE for Europe

She just got a survey from GE the other day and these clowns now not only want to know what kind of diversity you have in the company....but to survey all your suppliers for that as well!! How many women, how many persons of color etc....
One of the questions is what % of work force is LGBTQ? Can you even ask your employees that?? " Hey there Homer....are you part of the LGBTQ team? we just need to know so we can continue doing business with the big corporations"

Its just getting wackier by the day

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.