Remote mount oil filter and lines >

Remote mount oil filter and lines

Notices

Remote mount oil filter and lines

Old 04-04-2024, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Remote mount oil filter and lines

I am a dummy and this is the only photo I have prior to my engine(s) having to be totally redone.

Ive talked to a friend on here trying to help me and I thank him a lot! I still don’t trust my myself I have it in my head and scared to absolute death I’m gonna do this wrong. 454’s ( sorta ) this picture is prior to tear down and I didn’t take a photo ( dummy me ) but I want to see someone’s picture of the side of the engine with the Merc oil cooler. I want to make sure I am doing this right. The two lines leaving the remote mount on the back of the engine. One goes to the cooler? Front or back of it? I which line? The line with arrows on the top of the filter mount ? What about the other line? Does it go to where the filter WOULD be if it was still set up like a car? If so which port?

Talk me off of this ledge on making something so simple yet so complicated in my mind! LOL I’ll buy beers!
Old 04-04-2024, 09:04 PM
Registered

Default Pictures

Old 04-04-2024, 09:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

Mine has hard lines running down to the adapter on the block and the oil cooler is up top but I'll try to help....first, pretty obvious but you know the small barbs on the cooler are for the PS so don't let those confuse you lol....second, the old lines should have kind of "taken a set" in the position they are supposed to be in. Can you lay them up there loosely to get an idea? There should be a short line that runs from the filter adapter at the block to the cooler which should be pretty easy to figure out, then the center line off the adapter should run up to the inlet of the filter, then the outlet of the filter should run back down to the other cooler port. That's how I would plumb it for what it's worth I believe that's correct. So it will go....out of the center of the block adapter, up to the filter inlet, out of the filter outlet, down to the front cooler port, out of the rear cooler port, in to the offset fitting on the block adapter. I know there's differing opinions on cooler before or after the filter but to me, hot oil flows better and I want to catch whatever debris might be in the oil before the cooler....just my thoughts on it. Also, I like to run the oil in the opposite direction of the water to give it more contact time to help cool it more if that makes sense?

Should be easy enough to look up a merc diagram online of the oil line routing for that engine in it's stock form but IMO that's how it should go. If you are using the stock filter head, it should have arrows on it for in and out?

Is it a standard just filter head or does it have thermostatic control in it because that might change things...
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 07:08 AM
Registered

Default Yes!

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Mine has hard lines running down to the adapter on the block and the oil cooler is up top but I'll try to help....first, pretty obvious but you know the small barbs on the cooler are for the PS so don't let those confuse you lol....second, the old lines should have kind of "taken a set" in the position they are supposed to be in. Can you lay them up there loosely to get an idea? There should be a short line that runs from the filter adapter at the block to the cooler which should be pretty easy to figure out, then the center line off the adapter should run up to the inlet of the filter, then the outlet of the filter should run back down to the other cooler port. That's how I would plumb it for what it's worth I believe that's correct. So it will go....out of the center of the block adapter, up to the filter inlet, out of the filter outlet, down to the front cooler port, out of the rear cooler port, in to the offset fitting on the block adapter. I know there's differing opinions on cooler before or after the filter but to me, hot oil flows better and I want to catch whatever debris might be in the oil before the cooler....just my thoughts on it. Also, I like to run the oil in the opposite direction of the water to give it more contact time to help cool it more if that makes sense?

Should be easy enough to look up a merc diagram online of the oil line routing for that engine in it's stock form but IMO that's how it should go. If you are using the stock filter head, it should have arrows on it for in and out?

Is it a standard just filter head or does it have thermostatic control in it because that might change things...

thank you for that explanation!!

it is I believe a standard one here is a photo

Old 04-05-2024, 01:11 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's the Mercury Diagram, it shows a standard oil cooler. Looks like you have a tandem cooler for oil and power steering. The oil connection should be the same.

Bam Marine

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...31659/1620/280

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...31661/2357/230
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (04-09-2024)