Full Hydraulic Steering System Operation >

Full Hydraulic Steering System Operation

Notices

Full Hydraulic Steering System Operation

Old 05-08-2024, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Full Hydraulic Steering System Operation

I only have a power steering pump on my Stbd engine. I want to create some redundancy in the system if I lose the Stbd engine.

How much steering is there with no pump pressure?

I'm toying with the concept of an electric power steering pump as a backup. Obviously not as a full performance option, more of a limp home mode running only 1 engine.

Setup would be a manual valved isolation until required. No need for a single reservoir.

Obviously pressures would be lower. But limp mode that should be gtg?

Old 05-08-2024, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

You will have steering, it will feel like a H Farmal pullin a 2 bottom plow..............putting it in a slip on one is a pita
The following users liked this post:
Tartilla (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
You will have steering, it will feel like a H Farmal pullin a 2 bottom plow..............putting it in a slip on one is a pita
Check. Good analogy...lol.

I don't typical use slips...more a mooring. But even getting on to a launch dock could be a pita.

How does the steering wheel control system work? Is there check valves that keep the steering cylinders locked in place until pressured and relieved?
Old 05-08-2024, 09:27 PM
Registered

Looks like there's a lot of EPS...electric power steering options from many vehicles. Volvos being one of the primary donors to perf street cars etc.

Seems like a viable option. Easy mount, and easy plumb. Also makes easy bleeding of the system without running the engines.
The following users liked this post:
JaniH (05-09-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you have removed the steering lines try it. The pump in the hydraulic helm is small so it's gonna take a whole lotta turns to maneuver the boat. Even more due to the fact that the steering rams are in parallel, you may want to change that to series but I didn't want too much sensitivity at speed, and had to turn quite a few turns for lock to lock.