Sierra Cap and Rotor for MPI- Quality?

Notices

Sierra Cap and Rotor for MPI- Quality?

Old 06-18-2024, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
If anyone is interested, the new GM number for the distributor used on the old MEFI motors is 19420969. The number is the same for GM or AC Delco. For not that much more than the cost of a good ignition module, you can buy the whole distributor. Confirmed this works well on a 2000 502 MPI. I did switch the distributor gear from the old distributor to be on the safe side (it did look a little different) but I am pretty sure that it's the right gear for the roller cams in these.
Do you know if it has the marine module (cross ref to Delco D1965A module)? Those that are not using MEFI will need the right module to have ignition advance.

Old 06-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Those of you who have switched to brass terminals; have you noticed less corrosion on the distributor under the cap? This year I just changed out with a new GM distributor and wondered if the corrosion in the old one has something to do with the aluminum terminals. Could that the corrosion get its start from a pretty massive loss of aluminum terminal material? I have never boated around saltwater. FWIW, the latest GM replacement distributor works well as a replacement for the original. I will be glad to dig up the part number if anyone wants it.
I have not used an aluminum terminal cap. With that said, the brass terminal caps have some good life to them.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Copied from website review:

Reviewed in the United States on October 12, 2020
Verified Purchase"><span style=Verified Purchase" /> Verified Purchase">Verified Purchase
So, I needed TWO caps and rotors since I have twin motors in my boat.....but there was only ONE Quicksilver OEM set in stock...so I ordered it, and then ordered a Sierra kit as well....and thought I would compare, and see if there is a difference! (Next season as I am on the dry for the season now...)

Well right out of the gate, the Quicksilver product seemed better quality! The cap was just about the same as the Sierra, but the ROTOR was definitely better quality!
The Sierra had a SCREW that held on the contact point of the rotor, where the Quicksilver was riveted! Also the rotor BASE was more substantial than the Sierra! Heavier, better fit and finish, plus the rotor shaft was BOLTED (Via three small bolts) to the base where the Sierra was held in with three screws! (They didn't even look to be stainless!) I am sure both are "OK" but the BOLTED set up looked a lot more sturdy and better quality!

Why four stars? The OEM kit I received did NOT include new cap mounting screws!!!!! Not a HUGE deal...but one of my screws was bent, and I needed to replace it!

So, I have not had it on the water yet so I may change my idea either way if one does not perform, but just based on initial quality, and workmanship, I give a nod to the OEM over Sierra! The Sierra didn't look "Bad".....just not to the quality and fit and finish compared to the OEM.......
Old 06-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 950 Posts

I always use the Sierra Dist caps and rotors. Never had an issue and last 5 years+
Old 06-19-2024, 04:23 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the ACDelco D329A D465 is an Aluminum terminal. The pair can be had for less than $70. Bilge never really gets wet and boat is under cover so should be dry as a bone inside. Any wear would come from arcing. With the limited hours a boat sees vs the number of hours an old GM pickup gets in a year for stock ignition the AC will be fine. On my older style HP500 carbs I use Merc as I have a few on the shelf. I look under the cap and maybe take some fine sandpaper and WD to it once a year and they are good for hundreds of hours.

I never did find a PN for the MPI crab style with brass terminals.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:09 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDog

I never did find a PN for the MPI crab style with brass terminals.
I think Crusaders are. Take a look/search.

Crusader Hvs V8 Distributor Cap RA108009

Old 06-19-2024, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Do you know if it has the marine module (cross ref to Delco D1965A module)? Those that are not using MEFI will need the right module to have ignition advance.
The number on the module is not on the top of it as I was going to write it down in my notes. I do wish I would have retrieved it before installation. So, I don't know if the module is effectively the same. I do know the boat seems to run the same as before. The distributor that I bought was listed as a replacement for the old Ramjet motors. When I bought it, the info was sparse on it. If you find what module that the Ramjets took, then we would know if they are the same.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

The ignition control module in the Ramjet distributor is 10482830. I don't know if that is a direct cross to the Merc part #. So, I take that the ECM does not control the advance?
Old 06-19-2024, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use MSD as they have brass terminals, with the "crab" style caps on the MPIs you want a quality cap, plug routing is nice but there are firing issues with the design

Brass terminals are necessary, pick your brand!