Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi Doral 24 - twin outboard model

http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pic...62769473aqTioo

Last edited by Pogyhouse; 03-13-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: bad links
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Registered

Default Donzi Doral 24 - twin outboard model

I just purchased a 1978 Donzi Doral 24 that was setup with twin outboards. It looks like it was in really good condition with low hours of use due to lack of scratches and generall wear on the boat. It appears to have been stripped. When I got it, it was almost a bare hull. The dashboard and all guages are gone, No rear seat, No controls, no motor mounts....It had a knee brace bolted to the keel which attached to the inboard side of transom to support the outboard motor mounts. About 20 holes in the keel, and then another 40 holes (20 each) for the two missing motor mounts.

I just bought twin Yamaha 250's including a Stainless Steel marine double outboard engine mount, all the guages, wiring, top mount controls, and oil tanks. I'm hoping to see a respectable speed with 500 horses, 2 stroke style. I've already started a savings account to pay this summer's fuel bills. The boat is brown and white.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

good luck on the project, the 24 Donzi was made in 4 versions
the doral, the spitfire , the spirit and the el pescador same hull different deck treatments, the boat has the option up grade with the fiberglass moulded bucket seats

the 24 hull was a great riding hull very heavy and would handle and ride rough water very well but that works against speed as an example a twin sbc with volvos with say 600 hp 300 each side would be a low 50's mph boat I am not a guru on OB's but I would think loosing some of that weight of motors and drives will help , also the boat likes trim the older volvos didn't have that so another plus for the OB

if you go to donzi.net try to get a hold of ol' red alert he has a beautiful restored el pescador ( cc fishing model) and a spitfire the more Classic style 2+3 he just picked up
he can tell you alot about that hull
do you have a hull number?

here is a sales flyer
Attached Thumbnails Classic Donzi Question-doral.jpg  

Last edited by mattyboy; 03-13-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered

Does anybody have any pics of the Spirit 24?

I have a stripped hull and deck available for free and was considering grabbing it for a future project. thx.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O/B vs. sterndrive

Pogyhouse, I put a pair of Merc 300 Pro Max's on a 27' MAGNUM Sedan, got 71gps. Good luck with your project. HIGH LIFE
Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Registered

Default Donzi Doral 24 Project

Hi all,
Just un update on my 1978 Donzi Doral 24. Recap, this boat was originally built with twin outboards. I don't know what size or brand, and I have never heard of another one with outboards. The boat had been striped when I got it last year. No engine mounts, no dash, no floor. It has the Doral style seat "pods". I came accross a pair of 95 Yamaha Saltwater Series 250's with a custom mount, hydraulic steering, digital tachs & controls. They had been on a boat where they neglected to reinforce the mount and the top part of the transom broke away. So I got a good deal. The previous motor installation on the Donzi had a bracket of some sort from the transom to the bottom of the boat to reinforce it. So....I had an aluminum backing plate made out of 1/4" plate to put on the inside of the boat, and then took heavy 3" steel angle iron and made a "shelf bracket" of sorts to tie the transom to the motor mount stringers and on down to the bottom of the boat. It has 16 bolts through the keel and 12 bolts into the stringers, plus at least 10 1/2" bolts through the transom and into the motor mount. Plus another 10 or so that sandwich the aluminum backing plate and the transom to the new motor mount. After it was built I had it powdercoated. (pictures to follow). The exciting news is that I did a shake down cruise yesterday on the motors. The trim tabs aren't hooked up yet, but the motor trim works. Jumps out of the water and really flys. I've got 17" wheels (propellers) on it right now and I think when I'm done I'll probably need 21" or 23"'s to get the full potential out of the motors. The boat is rock solid and handles great. I'll update with pictures and progress soon. Now that the motors are up and running I have to install the floor, and then go to work on upholstry and top. $$$$.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the project is coming along nicely...

Have you found a hull # on it yet?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
The Hull Molds May Have Come from Performer. We Had 3 Hull Molds, When Buisness tapered Down They Got Rid of 2. The Last was Cut up & Thrown in the Dumpster. The 32 footer we built was sold to a guy in texas. When Is the next Donzi Meet? Cause if I Don't use it , I should sell it. The wife doesn't like it at all. But she doesn't understand How that "Floating/Wiggling feeling" When running 70+ In a 18' boat just soothes the soul. I Have used it 2 times this year. The Carburator has spent more time on other Friends race cars than on the boat. If I sell it I'll get a small O/B Cat that can't chine walk. We'll see how she likes the real floating feeling My 18 is the older(66) True V style hull, It really kicks a$$ when the going gets rough. Thats when I Like it most. But others don't understand. I Guess they don't know these boats have been in my blood since birth, And here in TN They can't even say DONZI

Easy now, Donzi's are catching on in Tn! But you are right, most here can't pronounce it
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered

hey pogy house

any relation to Knocky???
Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Quick Reply: Classic Donzi Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.