27zr 525hp

Notices

27zr 525hp

Old 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 27zr 525hp

Originally Posted by DONZI33
20-30k Or basically what it would cost to supercharge or whipple the 496 mag ho the right way (because of doing over the pistons, fuel system, ecm & heads, CMI).. I am stongly considering just doing the 525 & being done with it.. less BS to go thru as long as the financing works out properly.. Jamie
I've had a lot of problems with the 525 in my Fountain. I'm going to get the boat right and then consider selling it because I might want to drop down to the 496 and if I decide to do that, the 27zr is at the top of my list. But I was on Raylar's site today checking out their packages for bumping up a 496 which could get the same hp for less money than a 525. I'm told the Raylar packages won't take away any engine life from a 496 and based upon my experiences with the 525, I'm not sure I would ever own one again.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems with you 525. Would you care to elaborate on them??
The 27 Zr is a sweet little boat.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by UNSANE
I've had a lot of problems with the 525 in my Fountain. I'm going to get the boat right and then consider selling it because I might want to drop down to the 496 and if I decide to do that, the 27zr is at the top of my list. But I was on Raylar's site today checking out their packages for bumping up a 496 which could get the same hp for less money than a 525. I'm told the Raylar packages won't take away any engine life from a 496 and based upon my experiences with the 525, I'm not sure I would ever own one again.

I am aware of the problems you have gone thru with your 525 from the other threads that you were in.. I do have to say that is not a normal experince with the Blue motors.. It is unfortunate that you have had that experience. I could see though why you would possibly have that view on them.

As far as the Raylar stuff I already know what it would cost & what is do able. I am a dealer for raylar.. I could also just build a custom engine of our own & sell off the 496 that would come in the boat.. I just dont want the hassle in my personal boat. My problem is the time. I am always servicing & customizing everyone elses boat. Depending on how a deal works out for me I may rather just spend the difference to get the 525. By the time I get the parts to upgrade the 496 to the level It is looking to be a neglegible price difference for me in the end. Also The time is also an issue. When I get a chance to run my boat I just want to get in & go. I put on less than 11 hours on my new Donzi this year. 1/2 that time was at my friends poker run in the chesapeake. I am trying to get a little more play time with the next boat. jamie
Old 12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Sorry to hear about your problems with you 525. Would you care to elaborate on them??
The 27 Zr is a sweet little boat.

Thanks
What hasn't gone wrong, that's the real question. Without stirring the shiitpot again, the short of it is, the starboard side headgasket was blown when the boat was sold to me. As soon as I got it, I started asking the dealer what was up and talking to other people. (people at the dealership weren't very interested in talking to me) It passed leakdown tests so I was told to keep an eye on things and flush the antifreeze tank out. When it started blowing oil out the main seal, then I took it in and it STILL passed leakdown tests. I told them to tear it apart anyways and do those valve springs while they're there. I kept getting phone calls about bent bolts, missing parts, incorrect head gaskets. (turns out the leak was between a coolant jacket and oil jacket..........I don't think the thing was reassembled correctly)And a cracked port side header was the icing on the cake.

All of my rantings got the dealer to FINALLY call me(he would never take my calls before) and they FINALLY sent me all the info about the boat I had requested before I bought the thing. I would of NEVER bought this one if I had seen then what I saw this week..........mulitple blown head gaskets, mulitiple blown main seals, long block replacement, blown outdrive, cracked port side header, reversion, replace portside header and valve train. I was told the motor had 20 hours on it and the outdrive 0 when I bought it. But how can an outdrive have 0 hours when the reversion issue happened AFTER the outdrive rebuild???

Anyways.........I'm not going to pursue this matter here any further, and will not ID the dealer because I don't want to get into it, it would cost more in legal fees and take up too time, and like I said, I don't want to get into some internet war, I have enough to worry about, but I KNOW I'm right and I will never reverse myself on this issue. I learn fast and the next time I look at a boat, especially used, I will bring the drug-sniffing dog and take fluid samples with me for analysis.

My boat is waiting on a new CMI exhaust system (with a 1 year warranty I might add) and it will go to Leon with BTM/Team Taboo. (This guy is a genius and from what I understand used to be Reggies head wrench) We'll go through every inch on the thing and he has a couple of inexpensive tricks for the motor that should add a couple to the speedo but not affect engine life. My goal is to make that the fastest N/A 525 29 Fountain out there with a fresh top end and headers, so if I decide to sell this one, I'll have an ACE up my sleeve because there are so many 29's on the market.

I really like this Donzi though and if I do sell my Fountain, I'll lay low for a bit (to recover my $) and start looking again and right now, this thing is at the top of my short list. Us middle income, entry level guys took a real hit with gas prices and insurance, so the makers are going to have to rethink things if they want to keep that dwindling market size. This machine, mainly its ergonomics were well thought out. The only thing I don't like is the fact the tab switches are harder to reach than the drive switches, they should be reversed.

Has anybody run one yet? I'm curious as to how it would compare to my 29 in bigger water.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a new one in washington i believe with 496 they are willing to sell for 68 on trailer buy that and change motor after warrenty is up
seems like a steel of a deal
Old 12-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

Talking Re: 27zr 525hp

Originally Posted by DONZI33
I didnt think they were any out there yet. I knew supposedly there was 1 in production. I think it is going to Pier 57.. I know they will build one if I want it. I am just trying to see what is going to work out best for me.. Im hoping everything works out for me before the spring/summer.. Jamie

Ok, are you buyin' are you gonna be my secret santa Ed??
I will trade the wife!! I know Im gonna get a smack for that one!

Jaime, been there done that.... Just kidding ya on the ordering thing. I would go with the 525 you will not be sorry. Next thing I would do is put more than 11 hours on it this summer........
Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Undertaker
Jaime, been there done that.... Just kidding ya on the ordering thing. I would go with the 525 you will not be sorry. Next thing I would do is put more than 11 hours on it this summer........

I know.. Thats why I am hoping to get this new boat thing squared away for the upcoming summer.. I need more time on the water. You, Dan & Bill are havin' all of the fun on the bay.. I gotta get out to play more.. Jamie
Old 12-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cig20
there is a new one in washington i believe with 496 they are willing to sell for 68 on trailer buy that and change motor after warrenty is up
seems like a steel of a deal
Sounds like a great price. Got any more info?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Commercial Member

That price does seem good for a std 27Zr.. I wonder if there is a catch other than it is a year old already? Something seems fishy about it being that old & that cheap.. Good thing Im gunnin' for a 525 that way I dont have to worry about it...

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 12-15-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Commercial Member

Supposedly Donzi is redoing the 27zr hull & trying to lighten it up a bit.. That would be cool if it boost the speedo another couple mph as long as it retains its structural integrity.. All the more reason to be patient another month or so & then order a 525 boat J

Quick Reply: 27zr 525hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.